jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Make me understand the power of addiction

1. grinnin1 profile image82
    grinnin1posted 6 years ago

Make me understand the power of addiction

Make me understand the power addiction - I've been around it all my life but  with Whitney Houston's passing am once again amazed at it's all encompassing power

2. thelyricwriter profile image92
    thelyricwriterposted 6 years ago

The power of addiction is absolute, no matter what it is. It can be drugs, alcohol, eating, sex, ect. Addiction comes first, before life, kids, family, work. Nothing in the world is more important then it. It changes you completely. You do things and say things that you would not say. You think your the same but you are not. It is like being controlled and being told what to do. You make the biggest mistakes of your life and you are left with regret. Addiction will cost you everything valuable in your life. Addiction is your life when you are an addict.

3. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

There is not enough space and time here.  Watch several talk shows on the topic, read several stories, and discover the many different ways in which this power takes effect.  One thing is clear: it is difficult to get away after one surrenders to it.  The victim becomes a slave.

4. profile image0
    Kathleen Kerswigposted 6 years ago

Alcoholism is described as "cunning, baffling, and powerful" in the book "Alcoholics Anonymous". It is very difficult to understand the power of addiction unless you have actually experienced it. I believe that many people who are addicted to something are seeking a specific euphoric feeling or effect from the substance or behavior they are addicted to. Honesty and awareness are necessary for those suffering from an addiction and then if they can find others suffering from the same addiction, they might be able to relate and seek a solution from those who have found a way out. There are no definite answers because everyone is different. I pray for Whitney's daughter now. This is so sad.

5. grinnin1 profile image82
    grinnin1posted 6 years ago

I'm probably breaking a rule answering my own question, but I wanted some feedback. I have known lots of addicts. I have seen the devastation it causes.and i guess unless you are an addict, you cannot truly understand. I've had lots of family who has struggled with it; some have beaten it, some have  lost the battle, some let it ruin them slowly. Let it ruin what could have been good.
    I  have trouble  not getting angry with the addict, I guess.  And I feel guilty about that, but there are so many people who struggle with diseases every day that they have absolutely not control over and would do anything to get better, while it seems someone who is an alcholic or drug addict wants it or goes after it on some level at some point. Or at least chooses in some way to allow it's hold over them. Whitney Houston's death is heartbreaking; not only for her , her child, her family and friends and for the world that lost her voice. It just seems to me such a pathetic and pointless thing to throw away all that you've been given for a lie. And for so long. How many chances did she have to change? How many people tried to help? I know this is sounding judgemental and it's not . I just hope that there are people out there playing around with alchohol and drugs right now, having fun with it, that understand  how devastating, how complete and how non-discriminate addiction is in who it decides to ruin. It's the addict but it's also the lives of everyone who cares about the addict that are forever altered.

working