jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is a good home remedy for a bad toothache that is causing my jaw to swell?

1. profile image59
    Nono1029posted 6 years ago

What is a good home remedy for a bad toothache that is causing my jaw to swell?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image77
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

The obvious would be to see a dentist. But I figure you know that already.
    A salt water bath would help with the irritation and be somewhat soothing. Put a teaspoon of salt into a warm glass of water. Swish around. Spit out. Now, you can add some great antibacterial action by putting garlic, thyme and oregano into the water. They all have anti-biotic, antibacterial properties in them that can help fight infection.
    Get some clove or clove oil. If you use the clove. crush them up and stir into a hot tea. Swish it around in your mouth and then spit out. If you find clove oil. dab a drop or two onto affected area.
    If it isn't better in a few days, you should see a dentist. Mouth infections can lead to other bodily infections.
    Feel better!

3. athena2011 profile image55
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Excellent answer cloverleaffarm. Another option is to gargle with hyrdogen peroxide then rinse out your mouth a few times. If your jaw is swelling you probably have an infection so if these natural remedies do not do the trick for you (depends on how badly your mouth is infected) you may need to see your dentist to get antibiotics. You must be in so much pain with this so I hope you get some relief soon.

4. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

Sounds like you have an abcess tooth.  Infection can possibly go to your brain and make you drop dead,  Get to the dentist!

5. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Warm salt water may help in the case of cavities but you should either go to a dentist within the next 24 hours or go to an emergency room within the next 24 hours. Problems with your teeth and gums can actually KILL!

6. creativebutterfly profile image60
    creativebutterflyposted 6 years ago

Cloves, works great, smell nice too.  My parents used to use it on us when we were kids.

working