jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Is it better to sleep on the your back or on your side?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image67
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Is it better to sleep on the your back or on your side?

2. grinnin1 profile image80
    grinnin1posted 6 years ago

If you have lower back issues or are pregnant, your side, preferably with a pillow between your knees. If you sleep on your back, use a pillow under your knees  to protect your back.

3. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

i think it's best to sleep on the side ... although i somehow end up on my belly which is the worst position.

4. profile image0
    paxwillposted 6 years ago

If you are having a particular breathing or back issue, your doctor would have more specific advice for you.  Most people go through several positions each night, back, side, and/or stomach (unless you're very pregnant).  Generally, you won't even be aware of the fact that you are changing positions.

If you don't have any health issues, then you should pick the positions that make you more comfortable.  There's not a single correct answer for this because everyone is different. Personally, I sleep best on my stomach with one arm dangling off the side of the bed. smile

5. whizzer profile image78
    whizzerposted 6 years ago

This is a bit of a mute question. Everybody (unless they are unable to move) will shift position many times during the night. You may go to sleep in one position but you won't stay like that for the whole night. If you stayed in one position, you'd risk pressure sores, pneumonia and many other medical complications. In fact, if you are in hospital and are unable to move, your position would be changed by nursing staff at least every two hours specifically to prevent these problems from occurring.

Go to sleep in any position that is comfortable but you won't stay like that for the night.

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Personally, I do believe it is best to sleep lying on your back.

This will help your breath during the sleep period. If you happen to sleep on your side, you might notice that your airway on one side of your nose will be blocked.

It happens to me so I tend to try my best to be lying on my back throughout my sleep.

7. debbie roberts profile image82
    debbie robertsposted 6 years ago

I would think that whichever position you find most comfortable to sleep in would be the best as it would encourage a good nights sleep over all and you can't beat a good nights sleep to start a day.
    On the other hand an old lady once advised me to sleep on my back as sleeping with your face squashed into a pillow can encourage wrinkles...Not sure what she was getting at!!!

8. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

I've heard of the sleeping pros for both the side and your back, so whatever works for you.  Personally, I like to sleep on my left side, although I don't know what position I'll be in by the time I wake up - hopefully, still in the bed; LOL!

9. sarovai profile image77
    sarovaiposted 6 years ago

It is advised to sleep left hand side as per researchers in UK. It gives all time happiness and success. Some of the medical research from south Asia suggests , you should prefer sleeping your left hand side.

10. athena2011 profile image56
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I think that we all change positions throughout our night's sleep and do not know for sure whether the back or side position is the best for us. However, as far as aging goes, I recently heard that it is better to sleep on our back.

11. Pamela N Red profile image87
    Pamela N Redposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure since I sleep on my stomach. People who snore do so while on their back because their tongue blocks the air passage so if I had to pick one I'd say on your side.

12. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

I don't really know what is better.  I have heard that sleeping on your right side is not good for digestion (I think).  I have always been a side sleeper and my left side is my favorite side.