jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you cope with an anxiety disorder without taking medication?

1. ChinaDoll32BX profile image60
    ChinaDoll32BXposted 5 years ago

How can you cope with an anxiety disorder without taking medication?

Anxiety is a global silent epidemic, that many people are afraid to discuss. However, its physical and mental affects can be devastating to those who are suffering from it. It can cause you to fear death, social interactions and illness. It can also make you believe that you are sick and give you symptoms similar to an heart attack. With that said, it is crucial that people who suffer from anxiety receive advise and coping mechanisms. So, I want to know does any body know of any coping techniques?

2. angeline kelly profile image60
    angeline kellyposted 5 years ago

I hello china I am not a doctor,but I have been around people who have anxiety. As a matter of fact my sister suffers from it. I just want to say that I am not a big fan of some of these meds,because I also have some friends that suffer from from this illness, and some of the meds are awful, but if it is needed it should be taken, but if one can cope without takening it then I say do that. If one can go without the meds I say my hats off to them. But if one really needs it do not play around with anything conserning one's health. May God keep you and bess you.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have learned a lot of coping techniques.  But to be honest a good behavioral therapist is the best one to answer that question.  So many people that are anxiety-ridden have underlying conditions.

An example is that quite often I would wake up in the middle of the night on the verge or in a panic attack and wonder "what the heck  happened?!"

In those instances it turned out to be sleep apnea and now that I have a C-Pap machine at least those night attacks are gone.

I refuse to take any medication so I have found ways to cope and at times stop the attack.  The most help I have received as been in self-help books and one therapist who taught me a special breathing technique.

If you are the on suffering from this - hang in there, there is help.

4. profile image0
    foxygemposted 5 years ago

I have anxiety disorder and was put on medication for it but i found it made me worse so came off it. I have manged it myself but talking myself out of it which at times can be hard work but it works for me, also someone told me if you think about whats bothering u then u will forget it. Its like when you are going shopping and don't write a list you say to your self right must not forget milk and you think about it so much as soon as you get in to the supermarket what do you do FORGET so yes that works very very well for me (: x

5. kiera305 profile image60
    kiera305posted 5 years ago

Before you start believing in anxiety make sure you rule out any illness it could possibly be causing this symptom.

After 23 years of anxiety and depression, my children and I are actually suffering from a genetic illness.

Rule these out first before believing you have anxiety. We are all born immunocompomised, we should be treated by the medical profession differently.

working