jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it true that if you have a mental disorder it can get worse in your 30's?

1. Crochetliens profile image73
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

Is it true that if you have a mental disorder it can get worse in your 30's?

I remember hearing this and I suffer from depression and anxiety and it has always been a fear of mine that it could get worse.  I also have been feeling more depressed lately but I have been hoping it's temporary.

2. miakouna profile image76
    miakounaposted 6 years ago

Hi! Unfortunately, yes.  The good news is that it can be controlled.

This is from my perspective and from my own experience with my circle of friends, family, and education on anxiety and depression.  The signs and symptoms begin in your early 20s.  Many ignore the begining signs until it starts to control your daily activites, crying without a reason, you cannot be happy for yourself or others, 'butterfly' feeling in your stomach, chest pains, the list goes on.

My question to you- have you recently felt a great deal of stress in your life? This could be the trigger that increased your depression and anxiety.  It could be work related, relationship related, health issues, or family related issues. 

My own advice to you- find out what is the root of the problem that is causing this increase.  If it could be minimized by speaking to the person(s) about your feelings, do it.  If not, I would recommend a therapist that could help you identify what is causing the increase of these feelings.

Another question for you- are you taking medications? When my cousin was taking medications, it took a few tries before she found the right one for her depression and anxiety.  The way it was explained to her- each medication helps specific chemical imbalances in your system, but may require a few attempts at finding the right fit for her.  Some of the medication she was on made her even more depressed than before.  The good news was that she found the right one and she felt better than she did in decades.

If I could help you in any way, even if you need someone to talk to.....I will do my best to listen.  I will try to help you with what I can. 

I hope this answer helps. I wish you much happiness.

3. Phelcky profile image60
    Phelckyposted 6 years ago

I hope not! If it does then I'm not looking forward to turn 30.

4. kiera305 profile image59
    kiera305posted 5 years ago

Anxiety and depression and all mental illness are symptoms of a physical illness.

When it got worse for me, so did the physical reactions I was experiencing.

I now have a more serious problem, what was truly wrong with me, a congenital illness, has been mutated to my children, possibly more viral.

Always look at diagnosis of anything as a misdiagnosis, only you can rule those out as you are the only one who truly knows your story.