What if transgenderism is really mental illness?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (49 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

What if transgenderism is really mental illness?

Is there any chance it is?  Should those with gender issues seek professional help?  Why would we embrace it, rather than help the person overcome it?

2. tsadjatko profile image67
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12961699_f260.jpg

It is really a mental illness, just Google "transgenderism is really mental illness" and you'll find plenty of proof.

Why would we embrace it, rather than help the person overcome it? Good question because this is what happens when you cater to a pathology instead of treating it.

There are people demanding that we change the birth certificates of people who’ve had sex reassignment surgery to reflect the gender they now claim to be. Children are being told to use whatever bathroom they feel most comfortable using. Kids under the age of 10 are being given drugs and treatment to prepare them for sex change surgery later on.

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.
    He also reported on a new study showing that the suicide rate among transgendered people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among non-transgender people. Dr. McHugh further noted studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70%-80% “spontaneously lost those feelings.”

While the Obama administration, Hollywood, and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as normal, said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”

But did we really need studies and credentialed experts to find this out? To me and probably most thinking people, it is quite obvious the problem lies in the brain not the body.

1. From my Brain profile image70
      From my Brainposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know you all did a ton of research to come up with your opinion. But I think you missed a chapter. Did you know you have the same odds of being born with red hair of being born with ambigous gender?  You should read: Where does God want me to pee

3. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Well Lolita,  Your question is not really new.  It has been discussed numerous times in various forums among many.  Discussed, debated & analyzed at length. 
    No doubt Scientists, Psychiatrists,Philosophers, etal have made the usual efforts 2 research & study this very possibility. " Is there any chance," you ask?  IMHO, I can't imagine that this would not B seriously looked at.

However, it's not heterosexual human beings, quite happy & satisfied 2B the gender we were born as, who get 2 ask ourselves this question.  Right? In total gut honesty, as I sit here & try 2 imagine myself being "otherwise"...perhaps as a teen, feeling (or thinking or believing) I am a male..the first thing that comes 2 (my) mind is, would I wonder privately 2 myself, "Is there something terribly wrong with my mind?" As I AM, I can think, Yes, I would ask myself that.  But, if I had the mind of a trans...would I?  Probably not.  So, here we are.

But U see, the reality is~~are we even capable of "thinking" like a person who claims 2 have these "real & genuine" feelings?  I have 2 admit that I am not capable.  Look, truth be blunt, I am still struggling 2 wrap my brain around what it's like 2B homosexual.  I have 2 say that I don't know...& I also wonder if I need 2?  In terms of accepting that people ARE gay, lesbian, Bi, etc...it's here & undeniable. 
    I can treat them w/ the same kindness & respect as anyone & "understand" that they have had their rights 2 fight 4 equality, despite my lack of understanding.   I hope I'm making sense. 
    I've been all over the place w/ this damned topic....so much so, I do everything I can 2 avoid discussion.
    So, why do I answer UR question?  Because by nature I'm a searcher, a researcher, particularly in the field of mental health, HUMAN NATURE.  I want 2 learn.  I want answers, especially when those answers seem so far from our reach.

I am keenly aware the mere term "Mental Illness" causes waves of horror & need 4 denial.  If it's any more palatable, mental illness are all in fact, "brain disorders."  Having said this, it has 2B possible that Transgenderism as well as many many "out of the ordinary" beliefs and/or behaviors should be looked at in this scientific arena.

I am not going to go much further with this because it is such a broad & complex topic that could be discussed ad infinitum.
    Anyway, I hope U don't get beat up too badly Lolita.  It's a valid question~~~but that's just my opinion.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paula
      Gays and Lesbians call it sexual orientation, but there hasn't been any real reason for it. Even SC dn give an answer. So, Transgender creates the other gender, which results in sex with the original gender. Same sex or not? m-f sex with m=m?

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Gee, thanks Brad.  Like I'm not confused enough already?

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That wasn't my intention.

4. fpherj48 profile image59

Of course I know that......I was simply joking....Sorry, it's hard to tell online if someone is serious or not.  Rule of thumb: 90% of the time, I go for less than SERIOUS.  Some of us have a REAL life that's serious enough!

4. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

When someone says their arm isn't theirs, we give them drugs to treat the mental illness.
    When the person says they feel like they are meant to be disabled or not have limbs, we lock them in a psych ward and drug them up so they don't harm themselves.
    When someone says they are Napoleon, we give them drugs to counter the delusion and counseling - not demand everyone call them Emperor and give them facial reconstruction surgery.
    And yet when someone is in denial of a biological reality all understand as toddlers, and despite living in a society where social roles are NOT strictly binding as they once were, you have a small minority coming out and saying "my mind doesn't fit my body, change my body" or "my mind doesn't fit my body, I'll change my appearance, go along with whatever I think today".

Transgenderism is a type of dysphoria and identity disorder. Unfortunately, the political groups eager to say there is no difference between men and women are supporting this mental illness. As if a man saying he's a woman and imitating the most stereotypical feminine behaviors makes him a woman - or proves there's no difference between them. As if massive amounts of hormones and drastic surgical alteration prove that the differences between men and women are inconsequential.

Saying you have a female brain in a male body and must act out certain ways says:
    A. women have a default brain type
    B. the female social behaviors are hardwired to it
    C. the brain is wrong for the body
    Ergo: change the body to suit the mind while the person acts out stereotypes of behavior
    - but they leave out the Occam's Razor solution the body is fine and the mind is ill.

On that basis, the precepts of transgenderism undermine the arguments feminists make.

Note: the one in a thousand biological oddities like Turner Syndrome and malformed male genitals do not invalidate the male/female binary of the human species, and those children can and should be treated to fit one binary or the other, not get put in a weird new category.
    And the third sex one sees in southeast Asia to accommodate eunuchs and homosexuals isn't applicable to this discussion.

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Tamara...I don't know how anyone can find argument in your comment.

5. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

What if believing in an invisible guy in the sky who tells everyone what to do is really a mental illness?

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Aime.......Ouch!  Touche!  You're on your toes!

2. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm in a mood today wink

3. fpherj48 profile image59

Sometimes "moods" get us moving!  It's like needing to get angry in order to accomplish anything worthwhile, I guess. We're all entitled!  LOL

4. tsadjatko profile image67
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Aime That might be a mental illness if that is all there is to it. The real mental(&spiritual)illness is believing we evolved from random chemical reactions over millions of years&won't be judged for our sins by our Creator.

5. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Or that the universe created itself.  Nothing can be created by nothing.

6. tsadjatko profile image67

Aime you may think your snarky quips rejectingGod&making fun of believers are cute but they confirm what the Bible says(thousands of years ago)about people who reject God.The day will come when you seriously regret the path you've chosen.

7. Aime F profile image69

Wasn't my intent to make fun of anyone, just playing tit for tat when it comes to calling someone's entire lifestyle and identity a mental illness

8. tsadjatko profile image67

Wasn't my intent to focus on your "tit for tat" but your eternal soul. Of course you would shift the focus to the frivolous from the serious denial of reality you have chosen. One day you will know just how serious it is.

9. profile image0

What I don't understand is why this isn't a no-brainer for people. Aime, really think about this.  I wasn't posting this because I wanted to go tit for tat.

10. Aime F profile image69

I guess I don't think accusing people of mental illness is "frivolous" so we definitely have different ideas of what's important here.

Lolita, what's your background in psychology? You must have the best one if this is a no-brainer for you.

11. profile image0

You can read many articles by real psychologists about why transgenderism is a mental illness.  I think it is more important to get someone on the right path, rather than leave them lost.

12. Aime F profile image69

You can also read articles by real doctors saying that vaccines cause autism and you can read articles by real scientists who think the earth is flat.  Does that make those claims true?

13. profile image0

Well...being that we've been in space and seen pictures of the earth, I'd say no.  And it may be proven that vaccines cause Autism.  But it is not normal to think you're a man when you are a woman!

14. Aime F profile image69

Not normal =/= mentally ill

15. tsadjatko profile image67

Aime you can read or find anything that you wish today, that doesn't mean the truth isn't right there.The thing is you form your opinion then look for anything that supports it and your default if it doesn't is to trivialize the facts e.g.

16. tsadjatko profile image67

"accusing people of mental illness". Your conclusions are obviously not based on the facts. Reasoned people study, separate the wheat from the chaff and then form their opinion from the facts, not from emotions or whims in their head.

17. Aime F profile image69

Tsad-that's exactly what I think you guys are doing here.

My conclusions are most definitely based on facts. Gender Identity Disorder was removed from the DSM years ago.

18. tsadjatko profile image67

What you just said isn't true.It wasn't, the diagnostic term“Gender Identity Disorder”was replaced with the term“Gender Dysphoria"Still a mental illness.This is what you do,twistorlie about facts to fit your opinion,that's mental illness.

19. Aime F profile image69

Yes, but with the new term the APA specifies that the person must experience *emotional distress* related to the gender incongruence. That is where the disorder occurs, not with the incongruence itself.

20. profile image0

The liberal leftists changed it because they want everyone to accept it as normal.

21. tsadjatko profile image67

So why did you lie and say "Gender Identity Disorder was removed from the DSM years ago" when the illness wasn't removed at all, just the name changed actually a result of PC. You are trying to weasel justification for your wrong opinions.

22. Aime F profile image69

Sigh. I didn't lie. They are two different definitions.

Lolita, the "liberal leftists" don't have the power to change anything in the DSM. Challenge the APA if you think you know better.  Let me know how that goes.

23. profile image0

A, please wake up!  Leftists have been pushing their agenda for years.

24. Aime F profile image69

Psychologists/psychiatrists who work with transgendered people advocated for the change. You don't think professionals who work with them might have the best idea about their mental state? They're all just leftists pushing an agenda?

25. profile image0

I don't think ALL of them are.  The ones who are are leftists, yes.  The others may not be talking too loud because they'll get run out of business, being demonized.  It's called bullying, and that is what is going on with trans and gay issues.

26. Aime F profile image69

Those silly gay and transgendered people bullying others into not judging their mental health! Wouldn't want to make strides towards actually understanding people who are different...no siree.

27. tsadjatko profile image67

Just the fact the only way you can get approved for surgery is to prove that you aren't suffering from delusions&are infact stable demonstrates that Gender Dysphoria can be a result of those mental illnesses&surgery results aren't good

28. tsadjatko profile image67

A longterm study found substantially higher rates of overall mortality,death from cardiovascular disease&suicide,suicide attempts,&psychiatric hospitalizations in sex-reassigned individuals compared to a healthy control population.

29. Aime F profile image69

But how much of that has to do with public reception of transgendered individuals? Groups that are commonly discriminated against usually have higher instances of suicide, mental health problems, etc.

30. tsadjatko profile image67

That's not the point,why do you always want to blame others for the symptoms of a condition?"Sex change is biologically impossible&people who promote sexreassignmntsurgery are collaborating with&promoting a mental disorder"see Dr. McHugh  .

31. Aime F profile image69

What was that you said earlier about being able to find anything to validate an already formed opinion on something...?

32. tsadjatko profile image67

Yeah, that's what you do.I suppose you feel you're more educated&experienced about trans gendered people than the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital&its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry.What a quack!

33. tsadjatko profile image67

I've cited other reasons also which demonstrates I've looked at the evidence then drawn my own opinion.Much of the reluctance to identify it as a mental illness is due to the left which has tried to make it into a civil rights issue.

34. Aime F profile image69

It's not just my opinion that doesn't align with his, I've been quoting and referring to the flippin' APA

But I don't see this discussion going anywhere if you think "the left" is behind everything & won't consider that the change is well founde

35. tsadjatko profile image67

I didn't say the left is behind everything,see how u mischaracterize what I say then make it your premise - that's dishonest.I said "the left ... has tried to make it into a civil rights issue" and whether you know it or not that is fact.

36. Aime F profile image69

Has anyone ever told you that having a conversation with you is absolutely exhausting? I'm not sure if that's a compliment or a slight so don't ask me to clarify.

37. tsadjatko profile image67

Well then why don't we give it a rest. I have to respect you for hanging in there, most would have disappeared long ago. :-)

6. From my Brain profile image70
    From my Brainposted 7 years ago

You have the same odds of being born with red hair as you do of being born with ambigous gender.

In America over 300,000 children were surgically altered to "fit social norms" because they were born with ambigous gender. Many like me the very day I was born. But always before entering school. These children were altered based on a choice of their parents or doctor with zero input.

https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/I-w … sgenderism

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)