jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can you fix diastasis recti (separated stomach muscles after pregnancy) with

1. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

How can you fix diastasis recti (separated stomach muscles after pregnancy) without surgery?

If you try to do a sit up and your stomach goes into a pointed upside-down V shape, that means your stomach muscles are no longer joined in the middle.  Diastasis recti. 
    Sit-ups are bad to do if you have this, and lots of other exercises as well.  Anyone know of some that ARE beneficial?

2. pandula77 profile image83
    pandula77posted 6 years ago

The condition known as diastasis recti is usually not a life-long condition and should settle after several months. However, once cleared by your doctor, you can undertake few simple exercises to enhance the healing process.

The basic idea by doing these exercises is to strengthen the muscles which are suppose to meetup in the mid-line. Therefore, one such exercise which can be very effective is the pull-ins.

In order to do this, you need to lie flat on a firm surface with face up and the knees bent. The feet should be firmly touching the floor. Remember to support the head with a pillow. While keeping the hands on either side of the belly, you should take a deep breath. As you exhale, you need to pull the belly button towards the spine. While holding the belly button on this position, you should wait for at least 10 seconds. This can be repeated for 10 to 20 times depending on your tolerance level.

Hope this will be of help.

3. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 5 years ago

I have had this issue after all three of my c-sections. I think the low to loose your Mummy Tummy book had the most comprehensive tips for helping reduce the split. It will lessen with time but in my experience I needed to practice several things like pulling my stomach in and straightening my posture. Good posture is an important part in helping correct this!

4. cakeinthemorn profile image62
    cakeinthemornposted 5 years ago

P90X!!  I now it sounds like overkill, but after 4 kids it has helped get those ripped and torn muscles back into place.   This 4th time is taking a bit longer, but I can see that it is working, slowly but surely!

working