jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

In Japan women live the longest in the world, is it a result of good diet or lo

1. Joan King profile image72
    Joan Kingposted 5 years ago

In Japan women live the longest in the world,  is it a result of good diet or low stress?

March 8th is International Women's day and we hear a lot about the low representation of  women in upper management. However, in Japan the percentage of women in senior management is the lowest in the world, only 8% yet they live the longest. Seems to me that the absence of boardroom stress has its advantages even though I am sure there are other factors to consider,

2. ytsenoh profile image86
    ytsenohposted 5 years ago

Okinawa has inhabitants who have a life expectancy longer than anywhere else in the world and those who live longer are the women. Interestingly, the Okinawans live longer than those living in Japan. Imagine living to 100 years old and not dying from cancer or heart disease, but from natural causes. read more

3. Monisajda profile image75
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

I really think it's their diet. Japanese schools are already a place of high stress for kids. Japanese parents make sure their kids study hard to be in the lead. It is a small country and only the best can achieve enough to support their families. The suicide rate among students is one of the highest in Japan, they feel pressure to perform to oblige their parents. So I would think that a diet of rice, fish, seaweed and veggies is it.

4. ts.erlandsson profile image60
    ts.erlandssonposted 5 years ago

In Okinawa they have a very old population. They have no stress, they eat lots of fish and food from soya been. There are lots of research around why soya beens are so good for the body.
    So I suggest that we stop eating hamburger and other fast food and learn from the people on Okinawa.

5. Gregoryy profile image61
    Gregoryyposted 5 years ago

It may be a combination. However they do tend to eat less red meat, and less highly processed foods, and they eat more vegetables soy, and fish. They do not have high obesity rates, because they eat fewer overall calories. That brings up another point. More body fat, and more calories often accelerate aging. The more calories you consume the greater your metabolic workload, which produces more free radicles which increase aging.

working