jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do you feel consumers reach for prescription medication for small ailments?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Why do you feel consumers reach for prescription medication for small ailments?

2. Winona Becker profile image61
    Winona Beckerposted 6 years ago

it is my belief that people look to presription drugs for small ailments simple because natural medicine isnt as popular anymore. because of that few people know what to look for, how to use it, or even in some cases where to get it. they want an instant relief and believe that because it was made in a labratory, it is somehow stronger and faster.

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I think this action results from fear but there's also what's known as 'hypochondriacs'  which refers to being 'preoccupied with one's health and exaggeration of normal sensations and minor complaints' into serious illness.

4. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 6 years ago

I think the nature of our medical community has taught people to think this way. When people go to the doctor, they expect to be given a prescription. They want an easy and fast fix.

Also, doctors receive training from drug companies. Most doctors do not know about natural remedies or think that patients aren't interested in a natural remedy.

I'm always looking for natural remedies and have found that many times they treat ailments faster, easier, and cheaper.

5. Bea Wiser profile image64
    Bea Wiserposted 6 years ago

I agree with Fitmom.  People want a quick fix and expect doctors to have a cure for everything.  There is a general culture of unaccountability among many consumers.  Many do not want to believe its the fast food, lack of exercise, alcohol or tobacco that's making them sick.  And if they don't get results from a pill, or have a bad reaction or side effect its the doctor's fault .  Its true that western medicine has promoted this and now it's past time to change.  Consumers must continue to  educate themselves regarding alternatives.  And on the contrary to what W. Becker says above alternative medicine and natural remedies are hugely growing industries. So there is definitely a growing number of consumers who seek alternatives. Check out my recent Hubs about non-prescription remedies for PMS and menstrual cramps.

6. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 6 years ago

I believe all the answers here are correct, but in regards to fitmom's comment, I would like to add this.  In Minnesota, a doctor now can have their licence suspended for talking about natural remedies as opposed to either prescription or over the counter medications.  Sounds stupid, but true.  The bill was passed about a year and a half ago.

Drug companies have one of the biggest lobbiest groups in the nation.  Is that not a shame.  And with the side affects of most drugs, it has to make you wonder what is more important.  The patient, or the drug companies wallet.

Of course, if you do decide on natural treatment, do check to make sure there are no contra-indications for possible side affects they may have with any prescription drugs you may be taking.

7. toknowinfo profile image89
    toknowinfoposted 6 years ago

Whether it is over the counter drugs or prescription medications, as a society, we have become dependent on pharmaceuticals to cure our ailments. There seems to be a pill for just about everything. We seek relief from pain and discomfort so that we... read more