What exercises can I do to build speed?

1. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

What exercises can I do to build speed?

They say my form is good and so is my strength, but I need speed to be better at sparring.  So, I turn to you guys, my HP friends.  What can I do to build my speed fast.  I will be testing at the end of the month...

2. Ms Val Fitness profile image61
    Ms Val Fitnessposted 6 years ago

Here are some exercise you can do. With all exercise keep abdonminals engaged and keep back straight. Adjust these exercises to your fitness ability and remember aways consult or see a Doctor if you are feeling discomfort or starting a exercise program. Good luck and respond back so I know how you are doing.

1. Power lunge- 15-20 reps
    Legs in a stride position (lunge position).
    Jump vertically as high as you can and alternate legs in the air. If you start with right leg in front and left leg in back, you will end with right in back and left in front.

2.  Power squats- 15-20 reps
    Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
    Lower body to squat  position with elbows 90%.
    Jump vertically as high as you can with arms driving up.
    Land with both feet on the ground.

3.  Jump box- 15-20 reps
    Stack boxes. Place 1 foot on top to make sure you knee is not passed 90%. Safety reason for knees.
    Face the box, lower body to a squat position and jump onto box immediately.
    Both feet should land on box simultaneously.
    Step down.

4.  Side jump box- Same as above
    Stand sideways.
    Legs slightly apart.
    Lower body to squat position and jump onto box immediately.

For endurance and speed try these.
    Jump rope 2-3 minutes rest 30 seconds and repeat. 10-20 minutes max.

Treadmill or track training- This is a hard work out.
    Sprint for 30 seconds up to 2-3 minutes.
    Rest for 30 to 1 minute. 20 - 30 minutes max.

3. darrensurrey profile image74
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

Presumably you mean for boxing or martial arts? If you want to improve speed then I advise trying the following:
    1) relax the muscles that do not need to be used (if you tense, you can slow down your movement); for power, try to use the mechanics of the body to drive the force up from the ground; also make sure you are properly warmed up so your muscles are not stiff and inflexible
    2) practice the basic techniques over and over again trying to move as quickly as possible
    3) practice the basic techniques with ankle and/or wrist weights (depending on whether you kick or not!)
    4) practice punching/kicking beyond the target