jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What do you think is the number one reason why underage drinkers drink alcohol?

1. momster profile image60
    momsterposted 6 years ago

What do you think is the number one reason why underage drinkers drink alcohol?

There are many reasons why people drink under age.What is your thoughts on this?

2. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 6 years ago

Peer pressure and notion that they are cool or in when they drink. smile

3. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

It makes them feel that they are grown up but when they see friends doing it or other people they think are 'cool' drinking, then they will want to be seen to be going with the crowd.

4. hildred profile image78
    hildredposted 6 years ago

In my day and where I'm from? Boredom. And peer pressure. But because they were bored.

5. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

Peer pressure...hands down. The importance of 'fitting in', belonging, being a part of their group is extreme at this age. Being called names and shunned for not conforming takes powerful self esteem. I was blessed...my friends did not choose to drink so I never faced pressure to drink.

6. BeccaWood profile image73
    BeccaWoodposted 6 years ago

Well, when I was in high school it was usually used as a social gathering beverage, or they thought of it as a competition to who could hold their alcohol best. For me personally, I could never get over how relaxed I was when I drank. There are many reasons why we have so many underaged drinkers but majority is to feel grown up. If you have a problem with an underaged drinker and you want them to stop, I would pin point the reason why they were drinking and go from there. If they are drinking because they think they are grown up, warn them of what they are doing wrong and what could happen, and if they don't listen, don't worry, they will learn soon enough. If they are drinking to feel grown up, then let them do grown up stuff that is legal for their age. Tell them gently it is not mature to drink underage, but don't yell at them like they are a kid, it will only send them backwards. You can give them that grown up feeling, not alcohol.

7. Rain Defence profile image92
    Rain Defenceposted 6 years ago

To gain confidence with the opposite sex and to experiment with an altered state of consciousness. It's natural for humans to do this and we have been doing it for 1000s of years. Other animals do it too.

8. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

For the exact same reason that people of age drink. Why do 16 year olds watch Rated R movies (17+)? If you've ever drank anything then you know why they drink.

working