What are some ways to help resist the temptation of eating unhealthy foods?

1. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

What are some ways to help resist the temptation of eating unhealthy foods?

2. Eliminate Cancer profile image58
    Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

If you have a healthy diet generally, you learn to prefer healthy foods.

I used to love things like donuts and hamburgers, but now I prefer fresh fruit more than anything.  So many flavors we forget.  If you eat well most of the time, then when you do eat something like a donut, it just tastes greasy to you.

The best thing to do is commit to a month where you don't eat ANY unhealthy food, and try not eat much dairy either.  Meat is okay, but dairy will still make you crave fat.  Then, see what you are tempted by. 

It might smell good when you walk by McDonalds, but their fries won't have any flavor...

All of that said, in the short term, distraction is the best way to resist - try not to think about the food - and ELIMINATE diet soda - it triggers your brain into thinking it needs food.

Here's a hub about losing weight by giving up DIET soda:
    http://eliminatecancer.hubpages.com/hub … -Diet-Soda

3. jaybird22 profile image68
    jaybird22posted 5 years ago

One of the best ways I have found, to resist the temptation of eating unhealthy foods, is to not buy them at the grocery store. 

Just like Eliminate Cancer said, after committing to a life without greasy foods, eventually you will not crave this type of diet. I actually feel sick when I do eat something off my healthy diet.  High sugars and sweets make my heart race and grease just sits in my stomach like sludge.   

So if you are not surrounding yourself with unhealthy foods, by not buying them at the grocery store, you have to come up with ways to avoid buying junk at the store. 

First, eat something before going shopping.  Yes, the old myth about buying out the store when you are hungry IS TRUE.

Go shopping once a week.  By shopping once a week, you can plan out your meals in advance. This alleviates going to the store every night when you are already hungry and trying to decide what the quickest fix will be.

Finally, drink lots of water throughout the day.  By drinking water, it makes you feel full.  Maybe chugging some H2O before you hit the store will be just what the doctor ordered.  Good luck ;-)

working