jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are people calling inn sick to work more or less often than they have historical

1. JessiJoW profile image58
    JessiJoWposted 6 years ago

Are people calling inn sick to work more or less often than they have historically?

It seems to me like the pendulum has shifted from there being a stigma about missing work to be more of a stigma for going in if you are feeling at all bad.   Is this truly a trend?  And is it for the better or worse?

2. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 6 years ago

There is no way to verify that, but I would say from informal observation that people used to call in sick a bit more before the economy tanked.

3. tarajeyaram profile image60
    tarajeyaramposted 6 years ago

I would imagine that more people are calling in sick today than before.  This could be because there are more knowledgeable about disease or illness that are contagious so it is best to say stay home.  It is more likely younger people with kids will call in sick more.   When the kids bring cold and flu home from day care or school - it will eventually hit mom and dad.  More women are working today than historically so therefore the number of people calling in sick would be higher today.

4. iamageniuster profile image74
    iamageniusterposted 6 years ago

More. Since the benefits are better and people are lazier nowadays.

5. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I believe sickness has nothing to do with work.

A person who knows how to take good care of themselves will be able to avoid being sick.

As for whether or not a person work more or less will depend on themselves. I believe if a person is happy with the work, he/she will work more. If not then they will just work enough to satisfy their bosses.