jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Your Top Tips on How to Stop Snacking?

1. Shil1978 profile image93
    Shil1978posted 6 years ago

Your Top Tips on How to Stop Snacking?

2. tarajeyaram profile image59
    tarajeyaramposted 6 years ago

I drink lots of water when I crave for snacks.  I cut vegies and fruits so I can have them ready.  Snacking adds up calories - depending on what you are snacking on.  I notice that once I started to eat healthy, my craving for snacking stopped.  This could also because once you start looking at the benefits of healthy eating, you stop all the bad habits.  Or you try harder smile

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Sef control.

4. anglnwu profile image89
    anglnwuposted 6 years ago

Other than hiding all the snacks or not buying any.... Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing. But actually eating snacks is not a bad thing at all--just have to pick the right kind of snacks. Snacks can find in some nutrient gaps, when chosen wisely and help keep the metabolic rate up--a good way to control weight in the long run.

Good and healthy snacks--fruits, vegetables, baked chips, low-fat dairy.

Also, I have a hub on healthy snacking:

http://anglnwu.hubpages.com/hub/Healthy … ng-Go-Nuts

5. fit2day profile image75
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

I used to buy a pack of oatmeal cookies and get home after a long day and tear through most of the pack before eating dinner, thus spoiling my appetite. The best thing I find doing is replacing bad food with healthy food.

For instance I have blueberries or grapes with almonds for a snack so I'm giving my body nourishment instead of the whole not eating thing. Some people try to just ignore cravings, but I find giving my body what it needs instead of what my mind wants to be the best strategy.

6. profile image54
    laurel536posted 6 years ago

There are a lot of ways to go about this-- one of the most straightorward is try not to have a lot of snacks around. But I am sure that you know that this is frequently not possible.  It is very frustrating to walk into a room where a half dozen people are munching away, and you have to remember not to snack. 

One of my favorite tricks is to hydrate when I want to munch.  Coffee, tea, diet soda, and seltzer flavored with syrups are all low in calories but are a good way to kill an urge to consume.  Plus, when you are at an event you are still enjoying the buffet, just sipping a drink instead of filling a plate. 

Another trick that I like, cheates a bit with the no snacking rule.  I stretch out my lunch or dinner.  That is, I save out some of what I normally would eat as part of a meal (fruit, chips, veggies) for a snack a bit later.  You eat the same quantity of food as before (as long as you don't increase the size of your meals to make up for it) without the "eating between meals" issue.