jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can you really get sick from playing in the rain?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 6 years ago

Can you really get sick from playing in the rain?

I've heard both arguments to this statement. Is this really true?

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

You get sick from bacteria or viruses, not rain.  But being in situations where you get wet and wind up chilled, which drops your body temperature, can make you more susceptible to the effects of bacteria or viruses.

3. anglnwu profile image91
    anglnwuposted 6 years ago

My mom used to say that whenever I was playing in the rain. I don't remember getting sick each and every time  I played in the rain. If however, your immunity is low, the wet conditions may cause you to become sick.

4. debbie roberts profile image82
    debbie robertsposted 6 years ago

It is an old wives tale that you get sick from playing in the rain. Illnesses are caused by either a virus or a bacteria and not from getting cold and wet, although getting cold and wet will lower the bodies resistance against viruses and bacteria, but that is all.

5. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

No, but you can get sick by not drying youself off properly and maintaining your body heat to keep your resistance at an appropriate level to maintain good health.

6. cicsomum profile image58
    cicsomumposted 6 years ago

That never happened to me before but sometimes I manage to catch a cold at home, playing video games lol

7. go-barbara-go profile image77
    go-barbara-goposted 5 years ago

I used to play a lot, always drifting wet under the rain. Luckily, I can't remember getting sick. It's even one of the most memorable spontaneous activities I had as a kid. Though, I wont recommend it to those who have low body resistance. It holds you susceptible to illness-causing diseases.