jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Would You Consider Traveling Abroad To Have Cheaper Medical Treatment?

1. Shil1978 profile image92
    Shil1978posted 5 years ago

Would You Consider Traveling Abroad To Have Cheaper Medical Treatment?

Do the benefits outweigh any potential risks of having a procedure or treatment done abroad - in a country where the medical costs are a lot cheaper? Have you ever traveled abroad to have a procedure done to save on costs? If so, what was your experience like?

2. teamrn profile image67
    teamrnposted 5 years ago

There are medical treatments that are considered experimental here, that are established overseas. If the treatment required surgery, I'd need to consult with the surgeon and have researched his experience and accomplishment for me to travel the distance because the amount I'd save on insurance, I could easily lose on transportation and lodging cots. I think I'd feel more comfortable in some countries than in others-and with the shortage of nurses (many of whom come here), I'd have to feel comfortable with the nursing care I'd receive, too.

3. profile image58
    Robertr04posted 5 years ago

Hi.   Have you considered natural or alternative medicine. These offer slow safe ways of correcting physical problems. I have hubs about programs you might try before committing to surgery. You may just need to change what you are eating. 90% of all dis-eases start at what you put on your plate. I don't know what your problem is or how far the condition as proressed, but if you are still able to digest food, it would behoove you to take a look at another means to solve your problem. If you get a heart transplant and you don't change what caused you to need one in the first place, then you will need another one. Check it out.

4. shazwellyn profile image52
    shazwellynposted 5 years ago

I would certainly consider it... it fact, I have.. considered it, that is.  I told my Doctor and he made sure that I had the procedure done on the NHS, here in Great Britain.  We are so lucky and blessed to have our NHS, all things went swimmingly well and I am grateful that my surgery was done here.  However, if it had been turned down, I would have definately visited Turkey and paid for it.  Yes, there are risks - but that did far outweigh the cost implications.  It is having cut price private care.  This would have made it affordable, but as it turned out, the surgery was provided free of charge - and I have a great support in place should I need it.

Some of the best health care is in less expensive countries... you just need to research them (which you should do anyway in your country), so as you can trust your life in their hands.

5. psin profile image59
    psinposted 3 years ago

Your first option should always be to stay local thats  if you trust your health care  providers. If your treatment is not covered by insurance, traveling abroad makes a lot sense. I'm a senior patient coordinator for the largest medical tourism agency in Colombia. I wrote the ebook: 12 steps to safe and affordable plastic surgery in Latin America.

Your best choices for medical treatment area: India, Colombia (known for plastic surgery and cancer treatment), Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica.

Hope I was of help.

working