jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it a Myth That a Nursing Mother Can't Get Pregnant?

1. Shil1978 profile image93
    Shil1978posted 5 years ago

Is it a Myth That a Nursing Mother Can't Get Pregnant?

2. shesacraftymom profile image76
    shesacraftymomposted 5 years ago

It's not necessarily a myth, but it should not be relied upon for birth control, exclusively unless your baby is less than six months, you haven't started your period yet and you breast feed unrestricted meaning no schedule, eight or more times per day. This can be effective, but IMO I wouldn't depend on it completely.

3. Brandon E Newman profile image73
    Brandon E Newmanposted 5 years ago

I believe that the Planned Parenthood website advocates it, and states that it is statistically as effective as the "pill."

4. quildon profile image81
    quildonposted 5 years ago

In days gone by a lot of women used it quite effectively as a form of birth control, since breast feeding is supposed to stop you from ovulating, but I have heard of women who became pregnant while nursing. I think you're less likely to get pregnant if you breast feed exclusively, but if you substitute occasionally with formula, then you can get pregnant.

5. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

It is a myth and should NOT be used as the only form of contraception. Although some women do find it effective, many women fall pregnant while breastfeeding, sometimes even in the first few weeks after birth, when they are most fertile.

working