jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think some people have become self absorbed that they are oblivious to ot

1. momster profile image61
    momsterposted 6 years ago

Do you think some people have become self absorbed that they are oblivious to other things in life?

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Not really, but kinda  sometimes. I don't think anyone can really be oblivious to other things in life or not being aware. I think self absorbed is transitory and more subjective to the observer. So, I guessed I answered incorrectly. Yeah, but for how long?

3. susiempn profile image85
    susiempnposted 6 years ago

I definitely do, especially with access to social media and new technology.  Every thing is geared to provided an instant response back to you.

4. jwwarren profile image59
    jwwarrenposted 6 years ago

I would say yes, and to a great extent.  In our society the majority of people suffer very little, and I would go so far as to state that many of our issues are self inflicted.  For the most part, we all eat at least 3 meals a day, typically whatever we want to eat, we have beds, we're spoiled on air conditioning, and there is a world of information at our fingertips on the web much of it aimed at just making 'us' more comfortable.  I'm not sure that social media is entirely self centered as you can use that to keep track of other people which is an outwardly focused task, but it can be very self centered as we try to market ourselves.  I would categorize our self-inflicted woes as mostly soap opera ish drama.  We get into tiffs with friends that are stupid, participate in activities that may result in diseases or accidents, and can easily (even the best of us) become focused on those things that don't go our way while our lives remain relatively cushy and we ignore bigger issues in the world.

working