jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which Foods Are Good For Your Skin?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

Which Foods Are Good For Your Skin?

What foods or vitamins are best for healthy skin? What is a list of foods or vitamins that would be essential for keeping your skin healthy?

2. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

According to my dermatologist, zinc is a good supplement to add to your diet for clear skin. Another supplement is biotin. As far as foods - oranges, mangoes, avocados, and nuts are good to eat. I subscribe to my dermatologist's suggestions and my skin is blemish-free and wrinkle-free. Some people say it's just genetics, and it could be, but I'm not going to take any chances. I take the above supplements and consume the above foods on a regular basis. You will always find nuts at my house!

3. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

Since the skin is the largest organ of the body, a healthy diet is reflected in beautiful, resilient, youthful skin.  Antioxidants, comprising the latest, expensive, anti-aging serums, benefit the skin and body when consumed daily.  Dermatologists recommend orange vegetables, such as carrots and sweet potatoes, which are a rich source of vitamin A to restore and regenerate damaged collagen.  Veggies, such as cucumber and celery have a high sulfur content, important in collagen production (collagen cannot be produced if sulfer is absent). Dark green vegetables (spinach and kale) are high in vitamin C and act to rev up collagen production and protects against free radicals to prevent weak collagen. Tomatoes, peppers and beets (red veggies) contain lycopene, which acts as a natural sunblock, protecting the skin from photo-aging.  Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries scavenge free radicals, while increasing collagen levels. 

In addition to the value of vegetables, soy blocks enzymes, like MMP's, that cause skin aging.  Fish, particularly tuna and salmon, are full of omega-3 fatty acids, creating stronger skin cell structure for support.  White tea is purported to protect the structural proteins of the skin.  It is believed to prevent enzyme activity that breaks down collagen, contributing to lines and wrinkles.

4. foodtech profile image60
    foodtechposted 5 years ago

Well all Vitamins have their own effects on health. Vitamin E is particularly essential for good skin. These are actually the tocopherol substances. These can be obtained from nuts, different vegetable oils and seeds etc. Vitamin C is also useful for skin. Its deficiency leads to scurvy disease. Best sources are oranges and other citrus fruits.

5. DeanCash profile image61
    DeanCashposted 5 years ago

Fruits is always good. Don't just believe on water, always eat your water with watery fruits. It all start with your own genes. Exercise is a big plus - anything that will make you breathe deeply, but always check with your doctor first before you exercise. Learn to control your emotions. Choose your environment wisely both with people and smoky cities can get you into trouble. Vitamins without minerals won't work thought I don't take them often. Do you always wash your face with soap? water is enough to lighten up your face. Too much chemicals can rub your skins with it's natural nutrients.