Do you really meditate, or just sit and think?

1. oldrick profile image73
    oldrickposted 5 years ago

Do you really meditate, or just sit and think?

Many people say they meditate but sitting and counting the breath a bit then getting lost in wandering thoughts is not meditation!

2. Randy M. profile image86
    Randy M.posted 5 years ago

Getting lost in your thoughts is not meditation, you are right.  There are two types of meditation, however - active and passive.  In active meditation, thinking is allowed, but it is directed towards a specific objective.  Passive meditation, on the otherhand requires that you return your attention back to your chosen center (breath, a word, an awareness) when the mind wanders.  I do both and realize the benefits of both.

3. profile image68
    Andyacostaposted 23 months ago

What I do is sit comfortably and start to breath using my diaphragm, inhale counting to 5 , hold and exhale counting to 5. When I feel relaxed I start focusing in my body energy. Thoughts come , I just become aware of them and gently come back to feel my energy field. I do it twice a day for about 20 minutes. When I finish I fell lighter, and my senses become heightened. Everything seems brighter, the lights, colors.
    Sometimes, if I'm having a difficult day, I write before meditating. It helps me clear what is bothering me exactly, and after meditation I usually get some kind of insight. This works for me , I hope you find it useful.