jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What would you do when you want and have to stop an old lonely talker?

1. Hui (蕙) profile image81
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

What would you do  when you want and have to stop an old lonely talker?

I am a volunteer visitor in hospital. I have some patients who are old and lonely. Every time I talk to them, they keep talking without break for a long time, but I don't have that much time and I feel awkward to stop them.

2. profile image0
    mikeydcarroll67posted 6 years ago

I typically excuse myself and say that I have to make a phone call. I found most of them are willing to let me go. Other times I found getting them a journal to write in and share with me later when I have time helps them to be able to have something that they can do.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

I have a neighbor like that and I always keep my cell in my pocket. When he gets to talking too much I hit the volume button on the side of my phone which makes it ring. I then tell him I'm sorry but I have to take it and to have a great day!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I think the best thing you can do is be honest with them...interrupt if you must...but tell them you have others who need your help but you'll be back another time to chat more.

5. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

It depends on where or how the conversation is taking place.  If you're on a phone call you can politely say I loved talking with you though I have some errands I need to finish, why don't I don't I call you back later today.  Or if you are visiting says, i've enjoyed our visit but i have a meeting to get to or errands to finish or get home to get supper started, ect .. something on that idea and plan the next visit.  I hope these ideas help.

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

My uncle that raised me after my mom died, calls on occasion and I know it is going to be a long conversation.  He tells me what he ate, the color it if, what the label said etc.  He is 90 and I love him dearly but have to be in the mood for one of those calls.

The last time, I told him after 20 minutes that I loved talking to him and love him but that I had to be somewhere in just a little while.  He is always amenable to my getting off the phone--so far.

working