jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What causes Coulrophobia or fear of clowns?

1. AndyK26 profile image65
    AndyK26posted 5 years ago

What causes Coulrophobia or fear of clowns?

I have a friend who’s scared of clowns (girl) I just learned that this phobia is called Coulrophobia so is a legit phobia. But I’m just curious what causes it? I thought clowns were supposed to be funny and make us smile. How come they scared of them?

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image80
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 5 years ago

I think they have isolated the cause of this phobia...the cause is clowns.  They are creepy.  This is just one man's opinion.

3. Catzgendron profile image72
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

My oldest is afraid of clowns because when she was little she had a musical one in her bedroom that cast a shadow on her while at night, when she woke at night the shadow scared her and because it was the clown casting the shadow it instilled a fear in her.

My youngest was napping when the older girls were watching the movie IT and after sneaking into the room to watch the movie she had nightmares and an insane phobia.  She was 4 years old at the time and is now 17 yrs old, she is still petrified of them.

4. fit2day profile image74
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

I've never had a clown make me smile and I'd be creeped out seeing a clown outside my door. I don't know who came up with the idea of clowns, but they failed to be funny and succeeded at being creepy.