jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Why are some children scared of clowns?

1. Vellur profile image89
    Vellurposted 4 years ago

Why are some children scared of clowns?

2. Faith Reaper profile image86
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Oh, my daughter was scared of clowns when she was little. I think it is the clowns who wear the more dramatic makeup that look a bit more frightening to them. She loved Bozo though.

Vellurposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It could be the makeup, yes.

3. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 4 years ago

With good reason, I'd say. Not the clowns you find in the circus, the ones that seem to have caught hold of the reins and run this little globe of ours we call Mother Earth.
    Seriously though, maybe it's the odd make-up they wear and the wheezes they get up to in the ring (some politicians run their countries the same way, though, only less obvious... More sneaky).

Hmmm!! Interesting!

4. Lady Guinevere profile image59
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

Do you know about Pennywise the dancing clown from the movie by Stephen King, IT?  That scares me and I am an adult!

Oh my!! It is sad.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

It is developmental.  Until kids are older clowns are frequently scary.  They can be scared of puppets as well.

I enjoy the circus and have a good laugh at the clowns acts and jokes and I always wondered what is so scary about the clown. I even wrote a poem about the clown, hoping that people who read it can overcome their fear.

6. krillco profile image95
    krillcoposted 4 years ago

It has much to do with facial recognition; small children recognize the human face within certain boundaries, a clown face, exaggerated, is not within those boundaries. Paired with the rather intense animation that we clowns use, it can be startling and uncomfortably unfamiliar to them. The skilled clown knows how to help kids accept them and then have fun with them.

working