jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are the chemicals in sunblock bad for you? What's the alternative if they are?

1. cclitgirl profile image97
    cclitgirlposted 6 years ago

Are the chemicals in sunblock bad for you?  What's the alternative if they are?

2. Outbound Dan profile image99
    Outbound Danposted 6 years ago

Though I don't know if chemicals are bad for you, I like to think that anytime you apply an unnatural chemical to your skin, it can't be a good thing.  Granted, that isn't as bad as the harmful effects of the sun, with over 1 million skin cancer cases diagnosed annually. 
    I use minimal sun block, but wear clothing which blocks out the harmful UV rays.  Most notably I wear, Omni-shade products from Columbia Sportswear and Sun Guard garments from Ex Officio.  I don't have to reapply sunscreen, and it keeps me sunburn free.

3. Melovy profile image97
    Melovyposted 6 years ago

Yes, in regular sunblock, many contain chemicals that are xenoestrogens -  hormone disrupters. However some sunblock use mineral filters and some of them are safe to  use. (Not all because of nano particles!)  I wrote about this on this hub
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-P … oestrogens
    It includes a link to a site where you can check most sunblocks to see if they are safe to use or not.

4. fit2day profile image73
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

The chemicals in many sunblocks are really bad for the skin and due to poor misinformation, many people fail to realize that many sunblocks actually contribute to skin cancer. I could literally count on one hand how many times in my life that I've worn sunblock. There are natural sunscreens without the toxic chemicals, I think grapeseed extract or something works as a natural sunscreen.

In either case the best thing to do for the sun is to limit exposure and let your body naturally adapt to it. I like to think of sunscreen as vitamin-D block and vitamin D deficiency is extremely high rather or not people drink milk. The sun is absolutely essential to all life forms on earth. Over-exposure to the sun can be harmful, no doubt, but remember you need some unblocked exposure.

working