jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What Are Some Ways to Avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) on Long-Haul Flights?

1. Jangaplanet profile image80
    Jangaplanetposted 5 years ago

What Are Some Ways to Avoid Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) on Long-Haul Flights?

2. stefanwirawan1 profile image22
    stefanwirawan1posted 5 years ago

You are require to exercise your foot and calf muscle regularly by walk up and down the aisle when the crew say you are save to do so and  remember to straighten and bend your leg while seated. Other measure may include avoid alcohol intake or sleeping pills and drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Drink plenty of fluids, stand up and stretch your legs and walk if possible, point and flex your toes - I know; I'm a nurse who used to take care of people in critical care with this condition.

4. jhunpaler profile image74
    jhunpalerposted 5 years ago

dont stay stationary during a long flight. try to move your leg as often as possible and try to take walks to the comfort room. this may prevent DVT.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have heard that it is important to get up and move or pump your feett to keep the circulation going.  I would think getting up every hour and walking back to the lavatory would be good.

6. JCielo profile image85
    JCieloposted 5 years ago

As well as the tips above there are specially designed knee-length compression socks that you can wear during the flight. A 2003 study by Professor Gianni Belcaro of G.d'Annunzio University in Pescara, Italy, indicated that a passenger was 6 times less likely to get a clot when wearing one of these socks.

working