jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is your best remedy for back pain?

1. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

What is your best remedy for back pain?

Back pain that comes from ruptured discs in the lower back. Is a back operation an option?

2. strkngfang profile image78
    strkngfangposted 5 years ago

I would try physical therapy & steroid injections first and if they bring no relief, then surgery is a viable option.  I've gone through 3 of them, 2 being fusions and I do a lot better.  I had multi level disc herniations as well as stenosis so fusions were needed for stability and not just pain relief.
    The key is to find a well respected surgeon that has an excellent reputation and skill level.  You don't want to be one of the many that actually end up worse.
    It is also equally important after, to stretch and strenghten your back and core muscles daily.  You will be taught all of the skills in your post op physical therapy, if you decide to have surgery.

3. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 5 years ago

I agree that physical therapy is usually helpful as is a chiropractor. I use ice rather than heat for back pain and once the stiffness leaves from the ice my pain has usually subsided. I think ice works for some people, whereas others need heat. A spa also helps muscle soreness as those jets of hot water hit the sore spots.

4. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

Thanks strkngfang for a great answer. I already do stretches and yoga as well as walk 4 times a week. I also use ice as Pamela suggested. The surgery option has been on my mind for a few years as the herniation happened many years ago so back pain has been a constant in my life for way too long. I will investigate surgery options and hope to find a well respected surgeon.