jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Is there any easy way to cure bunion (toe problem)?

1. swati17 profile image69
    swati17posted 5 years ago

Is there any easy way to cure bunion (toe problem)?

Painless procedures would be highly appreciated . Thanks

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7684146_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Get physical therapy. Physical therapy in the form of electrical stimulation, massage, ultrasound or administering hot packs to the bunion reduces swelling and relieves pain.

swati17posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the comment ..but pain is not really the issue ..it's the shape and limited shoe types.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It will reduce the swelling also. smile

3. swati17 profile image69

Cool.. thanx again smile

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Swati!

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

As far as I know, only surgery will completely alleviate the problem.  My daughter had a friend in high school that had a severe bunion problem and she had surgery on one, then later the other and it completely cured the problem.

I do understand your interest in painless procedures - I have a hip that needs replacing and I am petrified of post surgical pain so am putting it off.

We are kind off sailing in the same boat ...I assume....I'll give painless procedures a try first ..then maybe consider surgery if the former doesn't help.....It hasn't  quite reached the painful state yet ....

4. Dr. Aaron LeBauer profile image73
    Dr. Aaron LeBauerposted 5 years ago

one of the causes of bunions is improper and tight fitting shoes and shoes with high heels.  Wear shoes with a wide and spacious toe box so your feet and toes have room to move and spread out.  Another cause is hereditary as well as having flat or pronating feet and arches.   These issue can be addressed with physical therapy, massage therapy, joint mobilizations, proper shoe wear and custom orthotics.  You may never "cure" or "fix" the problem, but you can make it a lot better.  I have seen patients who had no pain before surgery only to have surgery to find themselves worse off with much more pain afterwards.  Surgery is not a minor thing, it is a major life threatening procedure that should be considered seriously.  If you just have trouble fitting into certain shoes, that is not an indication for surgery.  There are some great self treatment techniques you can try that over the course of a few weeks to a month will, along with the proper shoe wear, decrease the severity of a bunion, I made a video that you can follow along with on youtube http://youtu.be/EHTkrK0AXsE  Good luck and if you have further questions, please schedule and evaluation with your local physical therapist who specializes in hands on manual physical therapy, soft tissue mobilization, myofascial release and/or joint manipulation.

working