Have you ever had surgery on your neck? If so, for what reason? Would you have t

1. Easy Exercise profile image83
    Easy Exerciseposted 4 years ago

Have you ever had surgery on your neck? If so, for what reason? Would you have the surgery again?

Many years ago my right arm went numb and surgery was recommended. I turned to research all the physician and surgeons in the world, learn about the surgery and then I opted to take up exercise. 9 years later I have successfully avoid the surgery but as I age I know there will come a time to revisit this decision. Have you had surgery for the discs in your neck? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences?

2. tiniray6566 profile image61
    tiniray6566posted 4 years ago

I lifted a patient in 1999 to do an xray and caused C5/C6 to protrude. I too worked out and exercised. It helped for a long time until I had my daughter at age 41.

It herniated in 2009. I had Prestige disc replacement surgery, because my left arm was painful. It did not help my left arm.

It took 2 years to heal until I went bowling in 2012. I injured my neck had severe right arm pain, and cervical myelopathy. Myelopathy means it was pressing against spinal cord. I had no balance and had to use a walker. I had to have surgery when he got in there 4 screws were loose. I also had bone spurs. This time I had cervical fusion at C4/C5 and C5/C6.  They removed old hardware and replaced it with cadaver bone and cages then fused it with screws.

Now my entire right arm spasms and numbness down to my hand. You are smart to NOT have surgery! Don't! It just creates more issues. Neck surgery is not done for neck pain, but for arm numbness and weakness. Either way it's never worked for me.

I'm 48 years young and I'm disabled. I'm fighting to get social security.

Good luck to you,
    I know what you are going through,
    Tina

3. artist101 profile image68
    artist101posted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7777872_f260.jpg

I just recently had to have neck surgery, basically I couldn't turn my head. Like you I put it off for 10 years, until I just couldn't take it any more. A very talented surgeon did the work. A great place to start is to look at the list of Drs, on your ppo. Then look them up on the web, read reviews from other patients. That's where you find out who's good or not. Patients are usually very honest, one way or another.
    My surgeon Replaced the protruding and herniated discs with plastic ones, and inserted a plastic prosthesis. Looks like the outside of a writing pen, on the exray. Yes it was worth it. Had to wear a neck brace for 2 weeks, and physical therapy to rebuild strength.
    Also had an epidermal, straight into the spine, for other "bad" discs. It works, but wears off after about two months. Very expensive, and an out patient procedure.
    The decision obviously is yours. My thoughts are that if the nerves are pinched, it may become permanent nerve damage.
    Physical therapy may also be an option. It has helped numerous people. Again expensive, but helpful. Read reviews, to find a good one.
    Just like tiniray I also have spurs, found on an mri. The only real way to tell whats going on with your spine, or neck. An exray will reveal arthritis, and narrowing, an mri can tell the surgeon alot more about your condition. Most insurance companies require pre certification for these procedures, be sure to call before you go. The MRI was 4000, the surgery was big bucks$$$.
    Hope this helps, If I had it to do over, I would of done it a lot sooner. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)