What do you do when you feel sad or overwhelmed by life?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

What do you do when you feel sad or overwhelmed by life?

2. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 12 years ago

I become present in the present and breathe deeply. Then I accept what I cannot control or make plans to change what I can.

3. Michel Gnon profile image59
    Michel Gnonposted 12 years ago

You ask yourself: who am I?  Am I who I think I am or am I living someone else script.
    Not to minimize depression or sadness, it is very crucial from the onset that we realize that we are the masters, the controllers of our thoughts.
    I am speaking so vehemently and so strongly because no one ever helped me to see that I am in CONTROL OF MY THOUGHTS.  Or I should say I have not learned that I am in control of my thoughts.  This is the starting point.  You are in control of your thoughts.  Your thoughts do not happen to you.  You choose what you think about.  Williams Ernest Henley helped me and the all of us in his poem Invictus: Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.
    William Ernest Henley
    No matter how we feel life overwhelms us, it is life that overwhelms us it is OUR PERCEPTION OF WHAT LIFE DOES TO US.  We are the thinkers of our thoughts.  As Gandhi said, nobody will hurt me without mt my permission, I will say no thought will hold me prisoner without my permission.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I usually just go to bed and wallow in self-pity for a while. Then I get bored and get over it.

5. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 12 years ago

When I am overwhelmed I try to break my life down into smaller manageable pieces by focusing on some aspect that is positive. I know most of the things I worry about never come to pass. If I am sad and cry, then that's okay also as it relieves the pressure, then I can move into a more positive frame of mind most of the time. Sometimes I call my best friend to vent- very helpful as she helps me put things into perspective. I also pray as I believe in the power of prayer, which always makes me feel better.

6. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image79
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 12 years ago

I go out and garden while thinking of all that I am grateful for.

7. My Nurse Says profile image59
    My Nurse Saysposted 12 years ago

I pray. Nothing beats confiding your sorrows, troubles and confusion to God. Eventually you'll get an answer, in the most unexpected and surprising ways. In my opinion, I love it because the answers that come your way will make you smile. That's God's sweet way of loving you and giving you His Love and Comfort and Direction.

8. sallieannluvslife profile image81
    sallieannluvslifeposted 12 years ago

Why worry when you can Pray?!  Then I dive into a project to get my mind off the sad and onto something different and good....like picking weeds, walking my dog, texting my boys, baking a cake, watching my chickens - putting effort into something positive and trying to get my mind to focus on all the great blessings I do have.

9. cperuzzi profile image88
    cperuzziposted 12 years ago

That is not an easy question to answer.  Everyone is different.

Talking to a friend always is a good start.  Seeking professional help to resolve whatever issue you have works, too.

Most people feel better when they have a plan to get out of whatever is causing the problems.  Depression happens when people don't have answers. 

Depression can also be caused by physical and chemical imbalances.  If that is the case, a regimen of diet free from processed food and alcohol combined with exercise will provide the necessary endorphins to make you feel better.

Then there is the obvious.  When you feel sad - cry.  Sometimes you just need to get it out.  Then talk to a loved one.

10. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 12 years ago

I pray, but if anyone heard me they would say I was having a tantrum,lol. All I know is I have to get it out or it just might kill me, my Lord is the only one who can handle it:)

11. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 12 years ago

I pray and ask God to strengthen me, to give me His peace and ask Him to put His arms around me, and I go to the Word of God - to my bible and read the scriptures.  God strengthens us through His Living Word and by His Holy Spirit.

12. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 11 years ago

Take a deep breath, then try to see what I can control and what I can't. Get the 'cans' out of the way first. The 'can'ts' usually involve other people. Again, some are easy to handle diplomatically, others not so. If being overwhelmed is affecting my sleep or relationship with my family, I seek professional help - knowing it can only go so far. That can help my perception of sadness, but cannot change external situations. There, I have to act, or 'shut up'.

P.S. Invictus has been a favorite of mine for years!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)