jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is Lou Gehrig's disease preventable?

1. Om Paramapoonya profile image94
    Om Paramapoonyaposted 5 years ago

Is Lou Gehrig's disease preventable?

2. bloggering profile image71
    bloggeringposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure about that but have you ever seen the documentary "Under Our Skin"? Some people who have been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease actually had Lyme's disease which is treatable. It's well worth watching...

Om Paramapoonyaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm....Very interesting. I'll try to find this documentary on Netflix.

3. againsttheodds profile image79
    againsttheoddsposted 5 years ago

As far as we know, ALS is not preventable or curable.  There are treatments to prolong life and genetic testing can be done to check for certain gene indicators that might give one a heads-up to the potential especially if it is the familial type that is passed on to descendants.  There is a lot of thought as to whether one should undergo such testing because if the result shows that you carry the gene then you might just worry about that instead of living life, and there is still a chance that ALS will never manifest.  It is a fascinating but heart-wrenching ailment as are most of the other diseases MDA supports.  Hopefully, some of our finest medical minds will figure out this mystery soon.

Om Paramapoonyaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. Just like you, I really hope to see a medical breakthrough for this disease soon.

working