Some interesting reality about fast food

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. sarovai profile image73
    sarovaiposted 14 years ago

Is it fast food really good for our health? Can we make it regular eating fast food only?

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you joking or just being cavalier?

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHAT a question!!!
      Great Question!
      I really really want to know the answer.
      We all want to know the answer. lol

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you eat nothing but fast food you will be "regular"

4. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

After watching a documentary which had secret filmings of Fast Food restaurants and their kitchens, I would say its not advisable to eat it regularly.

However, if you do, then make it yourself as you don't know the hygiene conditions, under which the food was made.

2. Alastore001 profile image61
    Alastore001posted 14 years ago

Can you? sure. Would it be healthy? Surely not.

Ever seen "super size me"?

The guy eats only mcdonalds for 30 days, 3 meals a day.
    A doctor told him that its having the same effect on his liver as going on a massive alcohol binge. That was only one of the effects.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I worked at McDonalds for 5 years. becuase I got free food while working, I ate ALOT of it. I figured out ways to make some if it slighty better for you then how it comes normally, but trust me...at the very least, it wreaks havoc on your digestive system.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anyone who has seen "SuperSize Me" and bases some of their food choices on the info from the documentary should also see "FatHead".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBLQIJEcbE

3. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i saw that...it was interesting

3. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yeah he had major fatty liver, as well as heart damage, heart palpitations, depression, decreased libido, exhaustion, food addiction,  a cholesterol of 230 (an increase of 60pts) a gain in weight (24.5lbs) that took him 6 months to lose, body fat went from 11% to 18%...

Uh all in 30 days of eating fast food.

you can watch it on hulu http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me

So can someone live solely on fast food? My answer: not very long.

4. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I remember seeing Super Size Me.  It really opens up your eyes about fast foods but some restaurants are just as bad too.

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I saw supersize me too, but I thought the guy was stupid.  Whenever the counterperson asked him if he would like to supersize, he always said yes as part of the experiment.  At the halfway point in the experiment he was drinking two large cups of coffee with his breakfast, two drinks for lunch and dinner. And he never bought any of the healthier choices. There was one scene where he threw up outside the parking lot.

They featured one guy who was reputed to have eaten the most Big Macs because he really likes Big Macs and he eats it every day but that's all he ate from McDonald's, he was as thin as a rail.  He didn't order fries or soda.  When the Supersize guy ordered his meal, this guy just looked at him like he was crazy.  I think the Supersize guy asked him if he ever ordered fries and Big Mac guy just shook his head and said no and that the stuff would kill you.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when you eat at a fast food place, be selective about what you're eating and there are healthy alternatives available.

1. Colebabie profile image59
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As part of the experiment he ate everything on the menu at least once. So he did eat the "healthier choices." I think the supersize fry and drink portions aren't an option anymore at mcdonalds.  The point is, are there some "healthy" options available? Sure. But there aren't many.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he's supposed to eat it at least once.  But if he only ate the healthier choices once, he's kind of manipulating his audience by concentrating on eating only the bad stuff.

It's interesting that McDonald's doesn't suggst the supersize option anymore.  It's telling that most people can't seem to say no.  They really don't have any discipline.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think it's possible to find things at a fast food place that aren't "the end of the world" if someone eats them.  The salads, the fruits they offer, something like a Whopper Junior (minus the burger) with cheese (that's a lettuce, tomato, and cheese sandwich - no so horrible).  People can also select "non-super-size" items and/or share them with a companion.  For breakfast people could select something like just scrambled eggs by themselves.  McDonalds in my area used to serve cereal at breakfast.  Most fast food places have water, orange juice, tea, and milk (with whatever else they have); so beverages wouldn't be a big problem.  Burger King does have a veggie burger.  For people who eat the burgers, fish, or chicken; requesting things like cheese and dressings be left off, and buying the smallest portions could help some.

The big problems with fast food are fillers, fats, and portions; so if you aim to select things that minimize the opportunity for fillers and added in fats; it could potentially (sort of) be fine.  The diet would be limited, and it would be a challenge to find the healthiest sources of protein.  Since a well balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables is the healthiest thing, I don't think anyone can get that by relying on fast food places.  If someone relied only on fast food places and made sure they always chose the healthiest items, they wouldn't be eating the most horrible diet in the world; but I don't see how they could get the right variety and amounts of healthy foods to make it the healthiest of eating lifestyles.

1. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you mean to say everything available in the fast food place. It is upto us to choose. Is it not?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but the fillers/fats/etc. problem can be avoided if people select a small salad with a light dressing, whatever fresh fruits they offer (McDonalds used to have yogurt and fruit dish, and they once had an apples/grapes/walnut fruit salad.  I don't know what they have now.  Wendy's had mandarin oranges in a dish. BK has "apple fries" (sticks).  They all have small salads.  That type of thing (or even just the scrambled eggs with nothing else) with something like orange juice, low-fat milk, water, or tea is all that bad.

7. Alastore001 profile image61
    Alastore001posted 14 years ago

Well in addition to my earlier post, im going to add that i DO agree that most people dont USUALLY eat as much fast food as he did the the movie/documentary i mentioned. Just pointing out that it is VERY unhealthy for you. I personally eat fast food pretty frequently.

As for the post by ron about the "Fat head" documentary.
    Well also understand that as part of his "Experiment" he required if he was asked to super size it he MUST accept it. Also he stated that he would try to limit his daily exercise to about as much as the "Average" american would get which was very little.
    Which is probably why the food had a much greater effect on him.

I'm not stating that the information given in the documentary is facts, actually its mostly over-done to make it more dramatic.
    However it does still indeed prove it IS unhealthy for you.

Sure, you could easily counterbalance the weight gain etc from eating the heavy calorie amounts from mcdonalds and the like, but it DOES NOT make it healthy.

Again, i eat fast food as a majority of my diet so if anything im a huge hypocrite i know its bad for me im just a lazy ass.

So i guess to summarize what im saying, i could simply put it as "is fast food HEALTHY?" No, not at all. Is the load of crap we hear about it on T.V true? No idea. im not a nutritionist.

However it is undeniable that it isn't HEALTHY.

8. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Additionally Morgan Spurlock's fiance (now wife) is a vegan chef. So Morgan was a very healthy guy prior to the experiment.

9. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 14 years ago

My dad fed us a lot of McDonald's growing up and although I was always a thin girl, I was depressed all the time. When I married, my husband pretty much opened my eyes to real food and now when I go to McDonald's I get sick every time. Now McDonald's is emergency food.

I have had no issues with depression since the diet change. That's not hard evidence, but it makes you think.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)