jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think the elderly should give up driving when they turn 80?

1. Charity Squid profile image73
    Charity Squidposted 5 years ago

Do you think the elderly should give up driving when they turn 80?

2. blessedp profile image81
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

No. If they are capable to drive why give it up.  Each person is different one might be 80 years but feels and looks like a 65 yrs old. So it depends on the person at that age.

3. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

What's magic about the number/age 80 such that that is a suitable criterion for having someone stop driving?     Consider the reverse (in time).... are ALL 16-year-olds mature and consciencious enough to be trusted driving?

Agreed, there are physical limitations that accompany aging... but I think that people must be considered individually......

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the elderly individual in question. Each person ages differently and has different downsides. Some need cataracts, others have Alzheimers, it always depends on the situation.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Not necessarily. I know some that age that are much sprier than I am. I do think after a certain age people should have some kind of agility or cognitive certification--maybe from a family physician to continue to be licensed.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 5 years ago

If it's a question of age alone, then absolutely not. I personally know a 96-year-old man who still dusts crops for a living, and a 98-year-old woman who still trains horses during the spring and enjoys snowshoeing in the winter. My own husband was raised by a man who, at 106, still had 20/20 vision and a mind as sharp as it had ever been. If your eyesight or your wits are slipping beyond management or correction, no matter your age, then you should give up driving. There's no reason to give it up just because you reach a certain amount of time you've been on Earth.