jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How do you know if you're having a mid-life crisis?

1. SD Dickens profile image85
    SD Dickensposted 5 years ago

How do you know if you're having a mid-life crisis?

If you've been through a mid-life crisis, what were the signs?  What did you do or think?

2. Jewels profile image86
    Jewelsposted 5 years ago

Hahaha! I had one of those.  It's a time when you question your existence and what you have done with your life.  Has it turned out the way you wanted it to?  Those hopes and dreams you had in your twenties - did you achieve them?  Or are you stuck in a humdrum existence, no excitement, a mortgage, 4 teenage kids, a job that's a drag?

I was one of the lucky ones.  I'd paid off my mortgage, didn't have teenage kids.  I quit my job and had a change.  Got off the treadmill, bucked the system.  First you have to realize you're in one.

For some people this period - often around your 40s and for some it happens early 50's - is really difficult. Heaps of emotional turmoil, agitation and even bitterness that you have headed down a path you didn't want in the first place.

If you are happy with your life you will not have trouble with this period.  If you are dissatisfied then make changes.  If you don't you may be laden with regret.

3. collegedad profile image77
    collegedadposted 5 years ago

I'm with Jewels. My wife and I sold everything including our house and moved. We're both in college seeking degrees and starting new careers. It's great!

1. Jewels profile image86
      Jewelsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well done collegedad!  I think one should receive a bravery award for swimming against the conforming tides.

4. connieow profile image80
    connieowposted 5 years ago

I have a question for you: What do you consider mid-life?

I am now 56 and do not see this even as my mid-life. The hardest time in my life was going through Empty Nest when my son left to live his life. I talked about it, sought out resources and solutions.

I went back to school and have continue to build a career.

I have to say that after I hit 50 I realized there was freedom to becoming a crone. A lot of freedom. Healing and insight are now a continuous part of my life.

I have to say that a crisis is a personal event. It is in the belief system. One that can change when we own that it needs to change. However, it cannot change until we face that we could use an outside hand on occasion. smile

Ask and the resources you need will occur, when you need them. smile

Bless you SD Dickens.

1. SD Dickens profile image85
      SD Dickensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Connieow - I wasn't really thinking of mid-life as a specific age.  I was thinking of more as a state of mind that coincides with some type of crisis event.  All of these comments are very interesting and seem spot on. Thanks!

working