jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What does it mean when one is experiencing mid life crisis?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What does it mean when one is experiencing mid life crisis?

and what are the possible solutions to it?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Actually I call it having a “mid-life awakening”. It’s the moment one realizes that they have more years (behind them) than they do (ahead of them). Each person has their own “trigger” and everyone reacts differently. Some people choose to live their life with reckless abandonment. Others do some serious introspective thinking and soul searching to determine what it is they want to accomplish before they transition and create (Bucket lists), while others fall into deep despair. Those people that believe in a “higher power or God” and a “afterlife” tend to take things more in stride.
    Generally speaking it’s the individual’s family and close friends that have a difficult time adjusting to the person’s “new lease on life.” Awhile back I wrote a hub expressing more of my opinion on this subject matter. http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … toutoflife

As for solutions the only rational thing to do is (accept the fact) that no one lives forever including yourself. One exercise is to write your own obituary and then set about accomplishing the things you want said about you. Last but not least you want to make the most of each day while at the same time enjoying each moment.
    “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength”  -  Corrie Ten Boom

1. loveofnight profile image80
      loveofnightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am in agreement with you dashingscorpio “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength”

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I think a lot of people experience it differently.  For me, as I approach 40 I find I am more reflective than I perhaps used to be - wondering if I have truly done all I could.  I also feel a stronger sense of urgency to meet goals and experience new things.  I find myself kind of bothered by my kids growing up and no "babies" anymore stuff like that.  Another nagging concern for my partner and I are aging parents and their health going forward.   For me I think the solution is to just stay focused on positive goals and enjoying the fact that I'm wiser and much less foolish now than I was when I was young smile Sufficient for the day are the troubles thereof and all that...

4. denise.w.anderson profile image92
    denise.w.andersonposted 5 years ago

For me, mid-life crisis came when all of my children were in school and I found that I had time on my hands, but no resources to do anything that I wanted to do. Going back to school and obtaining full-time employment gave me something productive I could look forward to each day, as well as a means to do some of the things I wanted with my life. Now, I am able to travel, write, and volunteer when I want, and I am able to give gifts to family members. I am enjoying life more, and have friends beyond my family circle.

5. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 5 years ago

As time flies and suddenly you realize you are at a different part of your life and looking back you would wish you had done this and had done that. You awake from that dream life you once and face  reality. It makes you feel different about yourself.