jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How did you overcome anxiety when presenting presentations??

1. tdebrick profile image61
    tdebrickposted 5 years ago

How did you overcome anxiety when presenting presentations??

2. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

It is most important to "know" your facts. The more you know the more confident and comfortable you will be making any presentation. For some, like me, there are always "butterflies" before I begin my presentations but they quickly fade . Confidence comes from knowledge. Make sure that whatever subject you are presenting you do your homework first. As time goes on and the more presentations you make it will get easier and your anxiety levels will be greatly reduced.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Do a lot of them, prepare and practice. Practice with anyone who will listen - even your pet!  Record yourself and listen or watch on video. When you're presenting, pretend you are talking to a small group of friends. Think of the group as individuals rather than a crowd of critics. Look at one person at a time in different areas of the crowd and speak to that person rather than the whole crowd. And when it's all over, don't rehearse your mistakes - except to note what you could do different or better next time. Congratulate yourself on a job well done!

4. meloncauli profile image94
    meloncauliposted 5 years ago

I believe this kind of anxiety, as with many anxiety disorders is all rooted in internalization. It's all about 'how you feel'. Constant self analysis brings about the fear and produces the panicky feelings. The mind needs to project away from yourself. If you are concentrating outwardly and not internalizing with self analysis you have the beginnings of recovery from this. Instead of dwelling on how you feel, observe what is around you, the minutest detail. The colour of someones hair, what they are wearing, the paint on the wall, the back of the room . You are then building up a different analysis that is the opposite of self analysis. It's not easy and takes lots of practice.

5. chipped teacup profile image91
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

Lots of practice.  Practicing in front of family and friends helps tremendously.  The more prepared you are and comfortable with the material the less anxious you will feel. smile