jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to help your child cope with the after effects of a traumatic accident?

1. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

How to help your child cope with the after effects of a traumatic accident?

My 12 year old son was in a school bus crash just under 2 weeks ago.  His counselor will start coming to visit next week, but in the meantime he is having nightmares, is restless because he can barely walk, (he had his leg broken in two places and had 2 surgeries and his "good" leg is also still banged up).  Summer is starting and this is an active kid and now that it's sinking in he has teary eyes and he is so bored.  He's tired of books, games, knitting, writing, drawing etc. and we are facing months of this ahead.  Any ideas how to ease the stress and monotony?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Thank God you mentioned counseling. That was going to be my Answer. So many parents don't get the counseling that their children desperately need after going through a traumatic event. This is "SO" important for the mental health of a child. If not, Problems will definitely arise as they get older. More than likely as an adult.

3. LQWILLIams profile image92
    LQWILLIamsposted 5 years ago

Counseling is an excellent idea. In the meantime I would say your son needs reassurance that he is safe, particularly if he becomes upset or anxious regarding the incident. Be a good listener and validate his feelings regarding the accident. Being upset or nervous is completely normal but also encourage him to get to a better emotional state. Relaxation techniques are helpful: deep breathing, listening to calming music, etc. Try to maintain a routine as much as possible. Perhaps even sharing your own feeling regarding the incident would be helpful. Not only the fear you must have felt for him but also the joy you experienced when you learned he was ultimately okay. If he has difficulty expressing his feelings, journaling is a good way to get them out. I have found that boys typically don't like to do journaling but they will often do lists (such as a gratitude list). As for easing the monotony... hmm... that's a tough one... I would encourage him to spend time with friends. Maybe a night surrounded by all his buddies would be nice. A movie festival perhaps...Or maybe playing a sport he likes with the rule that everyone can only use one leg... that might be humorous

4. mosesadewo profile image38
    mosesadewoposted 5 years ago

1. Wrap the affected part in cool packs containing ice-water for 6-8 hours to bring the body temperature to  90% Fahrenheit to stop , or prevent any amage the trauma could cause by the chemical reactions of the body to the trauma caused by the accident.
    2.Apply static electricity to the injored part of the body that is causing the trauma from an accident that occurred, to stop the pain  that followed the accident. Since the trauma cuts off, or interrupts this regularity, , the minute bating that goes on in our arteries, applying low-voltage electricity,helps to normalize the regular flow of electricity to the affected part that was lacking it, and by so doing heals the "trauma-induced chemical reaction."
         In a nutshell, 1.administer cool ice-packs 2. Apply low-voltage electricity to stop pain, and normalize flow of electricity to the body.