jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have been suffering from severe,chronic headaches for 2 yrs.My PCP gives me pe

1. profile image51
    emma2012posted 5 years ago

I have been suffering from severe,chronic headaches for 2 yrs.My PCP gives me percocet 7.5/325.

I finally got an appointment with a neurologist in August but my main concern when it comes to deciding what pain medication to put me on when I see this new dr. is if he keeps me on the percocet-which works very well for my headaches-I'm really nervous to ask if he can either write it to be taken 3 times a day instead of 2 or ask for the time-released kind.The reason I'd like it changed is because on the worst days of pain for me I take the 2 I'm prescribed but I can't take another one or I'll run out early.I've never abued them but since so many people do,I feel uncomfortable asking for more

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

The chronic use of percocet (a narcotic) can also be contributing to the headaches.  Pain killers help initially, but over time they build up in the body and one of the side effects of this is headaches.  I would seriously consider going to a non-narcotic pain medication and working to discover the true triggers of the headaches.  Headaches are symptoms of a larger problem, address the problem and don't merely chase away the headaches.

3. mackyi profile image63
    mackyiposted 5 years ago

The first thing I would like to say is that we should always choose a Physician we are comfortable talking to! secondly, if you believe this present dosage of pain medication is not working for you, you should let this new Dr. know, so that he can up the dosage or change the medication. Sometimes after using on a medication for over a period of time, it doesn't continue to work as affective as it used to.

4. Lwelch profile image91
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

Are you on a daily preventative?  I would really try that to see if that helps you need less of the pain meds.

5. lotuslove19 profile image69
    lotuslove19posted 5 years ago

If you believe in alternative treatment then you may go for an acupressure ,it really helps to cure chronic headaches.