jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

My sister in law is pregnant and is suffering from severe morning sickness.

1. Winona Becker profile image61
    Winona Beckerposted 6 years ago

My sister in law is pregnant and is suffering from severe morning sickness.

she can't hold down anything and I was wondering if you might know of something natural that she can use safely that can help. she is roughly in the first month of the first trimester.

2. xlorna profile image61
    xlornaposted 6 years ago

The most important thing is for her to stay hydrated - sipping water throughout the day works best. Do not chug water! And avoid acidic juices like orange juice. Also, if she switches to taking her prenatal vitamins at night instead of the morning that may help - sometimes they can trigger nausea. Besides that just very very light meals as often as possible. Crackers, toast - like you have the stomach bug.
    If she can't stay hydrated, she needs to see her doctor. they may need to start an IV. They may prescribe something for her - usually vitamin B12 I think, because that can help, but like I said, the most important thing right now is hydration. The baby is a good little parasite - he/she will still get all they need, although your sister-in-law may lose weight. That's okay - I lost 20 pounds in my first trimester because I was in a similar situation.

3. cloverleaffarm profile image76
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

Hello Winona. Sorry it took me so long to answer. I was away yesterday.
    She could try ginger tea. Ginger helps to alleviate nausea. Put 1/2 tsp (dried) in a cup (coffee cup) and let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and drink. If she doesn't have dried, a bagged tea will work. Be sure to sip slowly.
    If that does not work, she could also try peppermint. Make a week cup of peppermint tea.  She could also mix a bit of each and try that.
    If she is suffering from heartburn as well, she could try slippery elm bark powder. Make into a thin tea (1tsp per coffee cup) and sip. Alternatively, she could put a pinch on her tongue, and sip on tepid water.
    When she starts to keep things down, the slippery elm in a thin oatmeal consistency is really beneficial for the stomach and add back nutrients lost. Many times it is given to children and the elderly that have been sickly.
    She should try to drink the tea before she gets out of bed.
    Good luck to her. Hormones are raging, and some people suffer greatly with nausea. I had it ALL day with my first. Never knew when it was coming. I tried crackers, ginger ale...the whole nine yards. Nothing worked.
    Relaxation, meditation and breathing can help. Sometimes nerves can get in the way.
    She should see her doctor. If she is losing a lot of fluids, both her and the baby are losing essential vitamins. Nausea usually stops after about 3 months as the hormones balance themselves out.
    Hope this helps, and let me know how she is doing.

4. Winona Becker profile image61
    Winona Beckerposted 6 years ago

Thank you for your advise. I have told my sister what you said and she will try it out.

5. profile image60
    jada brownposted 5 months ago

what I see the most relevant thing to battle morning sickness is to eat more often to prevent stomach acidity and a supplement "no to morning sickness tea" as it works really great to soothe MS and keeps up during the course of the day.

working