jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you prefer a health care provider of your gender or the opposite or it doesn'

1. chepkoluumugulel profile image77
    chepkoluumugulelposted 5 years ago

Do you prefer a health care provider of your gender or the opposite or it doesn't really matter?

Do you prefer a health care provider i.e. a doctor or a nurse of your gender or you prefer the opposite or it doesn't really matter? And why is that so, especially when dealing with sensitive procedures like annual physical, Pap smear for women etc?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I don't care, the important thing is that the carer knows the job and is capable of doing it efficiently.

chepkoluumugulelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that they have to be competent in what they are doing.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

As far as a health care provider, I prefer men. I relate better and talk more openly with men than I do women. I fully believe they are both capable of doing the work but I just prefer men.

I belief so too that they are all capable of delivering health care services. But given a chance, I prefer women because I tend to think that they understand me better or rather we may have gone through the same issues in life.

4. TDAPharm profile image72
    TDAPharmposted 5 years ago

I think it's personal preference overall. I think, especially for gender related issues, some patients prefer someone of the same gender as they may be relate personally. This helps patients not feel alone or that they may not be getting their message across. I respect patients preferences and do not take it personally if the would rather speak to a different gender. My concern is providing appropriate care and making the patient comfortable in order for them to work with their caregivers cooperatively.

I’ve always thought women would prefer women clinicians. That slightly changed when one of my colleagues said that she would rather have a male gynecologist because females tend to be rough. I am not sure whether I believe that. Not brilliant idea to

5. Doctor Atom profile image61
    Doctor Atomposted 5 years ago

it mostly depends on what health problem i have,some health problems it does not matter for some problems it does

I am with you on this one that it depends on the condition. I can go to any doctor for a cold etc. but when it comes to sensitive issues like annual physical, personally, I can be selective especially when I have the opportunity to choose my preferen

6. michememe profile image77
    michememeposted 5 years ago

As long as it's a good doctor it doesn't matter to me. I just need one that I can be honest with, who will be honest with me. We must also get along.

I completely agree. Honesty is very important.

working