jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you know the pains of stammering?

1. Anjili profile image83
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

Do you know the pains of stammering?

I have occasionally witnessed people laughing at those who stammer.

2. shiningirisheyes profile image60
    shiningirisheyesposted 5 years ago

Although I was not a chronic stammerer, from time to time, when I'm excited, I tend to stammer.  I take a deep breath, slow down, and it seems to work.  And I pity individuals who take joy in others harships.

3. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

I used to stammer in my pre-teen years. What I was told was to take a breath, think about what I wanted to say, and then say it. Some self-control is needed. I sometimes find myself stuttering, but that's only when I don't think I can get a word in on conversations. The trick is to hold back - wait and then try again.

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I too had one in my youth but gradually learnt to control it. The movie "The King's Speech" reminded me of this recently. I have a cousin whose stammer has totally refused to subside. He literally stomps to force words out. Any remedy here?

2. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Tell him to slow down and gather his thoughts. Could be he hasn't worked out in his mind what he wants to say, and just wants to be able to say anything.

4. kj force profile image73
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

The pains of stammering also known as stuttering can be devastating to young children, that can carry over to adulthood. It is an inability of the muscles used in forming sentences, and is usually genetic, and is prevalent in boys more so than girls.It is triggered many times by anxiety..sometimes speech theraphy is beneficial, but not necessarily.
    This has nothing to do with IQ or hindering educational level..went to Medical School with a guy who had this condition, put himself through school, singing and playing guitar...(.never stuttered when he sang..) became a very prominent Surgeon...one thing to remember is it is not polite to correct or make fun of anyone !

Anjiliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi kj force,
      I like your response. Thanks for elaborating to a deeper extent. It can be rather touchy to the afflicted. As shiningirisheyes and Alancaster149 say, slowing down seems to work in many occasions.

working