How do you react to a person who stutters or stammers while speaking?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. LensMan999 profile image58
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

How do you react to a person who stutters or stammers while speaking?

Do you laugh at or sympathise at such people?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8117821_f260.jpg

2. Lavender Jade profile image73
    Lavender Jadeposted 10 years ago

You have to be patient with them, and not let them get upset which would make it worse, you just have to listen to them and once they have started to relax then they should stammer less.  I would sympathise with them but not in a way which would make it seem like I was belittling them.

3. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I don't laugh or sympathize with people who stutter. Having an adult daughter with autism and a speech impediment (i.e., stuttering), I know she doesn't want me to feel sorry for her. She wants to be treated the same as everyone else. Sometimes her stuttering is much worse than at other times. It all depends on her energy levels and her nervousness. I just have to be patient and attentive in listening to her. If her stuttering is really bad, I know she gets frustrated because she can't get her words out. When that happens, I will try to guess what she is trying to say. She is relieve some days when I do this. Other days, she still feels the need to get those words out even though I already know what she's going to say.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

It's not necessary to sympathize and by no means, would I LAUGH.  This would be simply rude and terribly mean.  There are many factors involved, as to why a person may stutter...(as with any speech pattern or impediment).   Someone very near and dear to me, has a serious stutter.  To be perfectly honest, it seems to me that everyone is so used to his issue, it barely matters or causes any concern.  I know I am hardly aware of it now, after all the years of knowing him.  I can assure you, his stutter does not get in the way of his sweet, intelligent, personable demeanor.
    I'm sure that I do not react any differently to individuals who stutter, than to those who do not.  It's all about acceptance, tolerance and understanding.  I'm pleased to interact and converse with all interesting people!

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I pretty much just think, "Oh, this person stutters," and go on with the conversation.  I certainly wouldn't have any urge to laugh because I don't see a thing funny about a person's "challenge" (if that's the right word).  I don't particularly feel sympathy because I know that something like that is no indication of how intelligent, strong, weak, etc. anyone is; so I see no reason to sympathize.  Sympathy suggests feeling bad for someone, and a) I respect the other person enough not to think they're "less" because of their problem, and b) the person probably learned long ago how to comfortably get through life while having that kind of "challenge".

Is it always easy and effortless to listen to someone who has that particular challenge?  No, but there are a lot of things/people in life we have to listen to/hear that aren't all that effortless. 

My thinking is this:  I do with that what I do with, say, a person who has a very thick foreign accent - I hope they feel fine about it and know I don't have a problem with it either, have no impatience or problem whatsoever with understanding that it may take them a little more time/effort to say what they need to say; but also hope the other person understands that if I can't understand something he has said neither of us should feel bad about that either and should just do our best to work with it.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

When I encounter a person with a speech impediment, It forces me to take a breath and slow down. Patience is key because stress often causes the speaker to have more difficulty. I would never laugh and try not to sympathize or feel sorry either because I don't want to appear patronizing.

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

There is no one answer for all situations. I have a speech impediment. I do not stutter, but I have an articulation issue, so I mispronounce words. I got some good therapy in college and it is less of an issue today. However, I find younger people, are less patient. If I am doing some business on the phone, I have gotten some remarks like "I can't understand your accent, or what country are you in." When I advise that I am an American living in Louisiana (it is part of the U.S.) they say, well I could not understand you. To say they were sorry would be nice, but it is really not their problem. So I either rephrase, spell it out, or say have a nice day and hang up. It depends on the situation.

8. TNT Husky profile image64
    TNT Huskyposted 10 years ago

I have patience with them. some people simply have more difficulty wording things than others. not because of their minds, but because they may be trying to think on their feet about the best possible way to say something.

9. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

Depends on the situation. In comedy it's usually done with someone who doesn't have a speech impediment or stammer, therefore they can follow lines perfectly and do it at the right time for the full effect. There I would laugh, but in reality I empathise because it's a serious matter. I find myself on numerous occasions stammering because I use my gob before my brain's ready for it, so I only say half a sentence before stammering until I begin Act 2.

10. Mercia Collins profile image66
    Mercia Collinsposted 10 years ago

You listen to them as though they were anyone else. Let them get the words out and do not be tempted to finish their words for them. Let them relax and the speech impediment will get better. Treat them normally. Never laugh at a speech impediment, it is cruel to do so. Do not patronize them, with sympathy but instead believe in them.

11. ienjoythis profile image69
    ienjoythisposted 10 years ago

Sympathize. Individuals who stutter or stammer cannot control it. Listen patiently and do your best to understand, responding in the same manner you would with anyone else. Simple.

12. krisaclark profile image62
    krisaclarkposted 10 years ago

Don't react at all, treat them like a normal person (because they are a normal person) and carry on the conversation like you would with anybody else.

13. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

It is obvious that the person who does unvoluntary  movements and makes sound when they speak. They have a physical speech problem. Some people they do it on purposely to make others feel bad. Because they do not like the person around him or her. They really know that you write and they do not want to help you with your writing.  I saw both set of circumstances. The true and the false.

14. liesl5858 profile image85
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I just listen and try to understand what he or she is saying and I will never laugh at anyone who has stutters. They can't help being the way they are. Be more patient with them.

15. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I treat them as I do anyone else, I listen. I definitely sympathize and get irritated with those who take the immature route in dealing with a person who's stuttering or stammering. Even as a child I never made fun of this type of thing. It could be a temporary or long term condition and I don't think that making them more self conscious would ever help them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)