jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is there a really good home remedy or over the counter cure for poison ivy and/o

1. vikkijov profile image61
    vikkijovposted 5 years ago

Is there a really good home remedy or over the counter cure for poison ivy and/or poison oak?

The warm weather is upon us in New Englad and everyone is gardening.  What is the cure for poison ivy or oak?

2. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I've heard making a paste of baking soda and water helps, but I don't know how accurate it is.  Wouldn't hurt to try it, though.

1. nochance profile image94
      nochanceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The evaporating water causes a cooling effect on the skin making it so you don't scratch it and it doesn't spread. It works, I've tried it. But the cooling affect doesn't last very long. Works really well on bug bites though.

2. vikkijov profile image61
      vikkijovposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am willing to try anything, really!  Thank you for the suggestion

3. sehrm profile image79
    sehrmposted 4 years ago

There's, unfortunately, no cure.  I am suffering from a bout of poison oak rashes right now due to a recent trailblazing expedition.  The best thing, in my opinion, is to simply ignore it.  If that is not possible (and trust me, I know the itch is the bane of existence), I use Tecnu extreme scrub, toothpaste, tea tree oil, or - my favorite - a scalding hot shower followed by rubbing alcohol.  It's all about making yourself more comfortable while the body fights it off.  Essentially, you want to dry out the rash and not itch.

working