Relative Dies From Over The Counter Medication

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

The brother of my brother in law passed away just the other day after using Aleve for about one week. Aleve is an over the counter Naproxen  Naproxen is the same type of medication that the prescribed Vioxx is.
    Vioxx was removed from the market owed to several deaths.
    Aleve and Vioxx are both anti-inflametory medications.  Never take a Naproxen type medication without a doctor's orders. These meds are known to cause heart attacks due to an allergic reaction. .

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How sad! My sympathies to you and your extended family.

This is why I avoid medications whenever possible. I used to take lots of meds for depression and even acne. The side effects of meds can be horrid. Even basic stuff like aspirin does a number on my stomach and if I can avoid it I do.

Thank you for sharing your warning regarding this medication, it is always good to know more about what is out there.

All the best

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your words of comfort. Not all drugs are dangerous but anything anti-inflammatory is. Other medicines for arthritis are also very dangerous and can even cause Lymphoma (cancer of the Lymph glands)

My sister's brother-in-law is who died. He thought it was safe because he bought the Aleve at Walmart. A few people are in the high risk group for Aleve,(Aleve is made for severe headaches and arthritis) which are those who have an allergic reaction. (Naproxen, Vioxx etc)†

My sister's brother-in-law was found in the floor. He wasn't breathing and his whole body was swollen. He was put on life support and the doctor's induced coma so he could heal faster. He died the next day.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just as a matter of interest - how can you have a brother of a brother in law that is not also a brother in law? Surely he was just your brother in law? wink

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, he could be her sister's or brother's husband's brother.  Wow, that's a mouthful.  Anyway, Deborah, I'm so sorry to hear about that.  That's the first time I've heard of this, my condolences.

1. profile image0

Wordscribed Thank you for your condolences and kind words.

Yes, he was my sister's brother-in-law.

2. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, if the guy married her sister then his brother is not her brother in law but rather her sisters brother in law.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Time to take some flu medicine and go to bed methinks. lol

1. profile image0
            wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or perhaps you've already had too much?  smile  Feel better.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

You could be right. Night. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol That was priceless Wordscribe lol lol

2. profile image0

Texan, thanks for explaining it to him.

3. profile image0

Always getting off topic trying to be funny.
        No it was not my brother in law. It was the brother in law of my sister.
        But gee thanks for your sympathy.

3. jclason profile image55
      jclasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great I just took one of these prescription strength Naproxins about 10 minutes ago.

2. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the info. I used to take those. They felt like acid in my stomach. Usually the things that seem to work the best do the most damage.

1. profile image0

Thank you. Very kind of you.
      I also had severe stomach pain and the feeling of being extremely cold when I tried these.

3. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

The number of annual deaths from ASPIRIN is astonishing -- yet it's an easily available, unregulated, OTC medication.

The failure rate of anti-depressants is 60% -- yet they are widely prescribed in spite of their side effects and ineffectiveness.

But other medications, ones with high rates of effectiveness (over 50%) and low to no side effects, are NOT approved by the FDA.  Why?  Because the pharmaceutical co's can't patent them and/or make enough $$$ from them.

Though I am not a big fan of his, I DO recommend the book called something like "Cures they Dont Want You to Know About" by Kevin Tredeau (sp?).  Amazing stuff in there.

So sorry to hear that someone you knew passed from a "safe" medication.

1. profile image0

Thank you.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

In my old country we had lots of amazing doctors and not enough right medications. People used a lot of natural remedies. And here (in Canada) you can just go and complain about anything and come back with lots of prescribed stuff that can make you really sick and  even kill you, sorry, it's a very sad but fact! Who is going to conrol doctors? They are humans, not saints? I do not get it.

1. profile image0

I know. Americans use to buy from the Canadian Pharmacies until they stopped it here.

My son just went to Alberta (something like Calgory??)
      Beautiful place. A lot bigger then New York.

5. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere condolences for the death of your family member.

Secondly, I would like to thank you for sharing this information. Aleve is normally the medication I turn to for headaches because I've developed a tolerance to most other medications and I actually have a severe sensitivity to Aspirin. I'm going to have to make an appointment with my doctor and ask him about some alternative medications for pain relief.

1. profile image0

Never ever take even one more than the directions say. I don't want anything to happen to you.
      Thank you for your kind words.

6. Alta5656 profile image60
    Alta5656posted 13 years ago

I believe orthomolecular medicine is far more safer.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear it, you really never know.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Gosh, that's sad and disturbing.
    I know freak "accidents" do happen.
    The swelling sounds like an allergic reaction.
    When you get any prescription med the 5 pages of warnings and side effects is enough to make you never, ever want to take it.
    But wouldn't logic tell you that if they took the prescription form off the market -- the otc version would likewise be suspect?
    Thanks for the warning.
    jclason -- will you please check back in with us in a few hours so we know you're ok?
    MM

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)