jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is gout?

1. scoop profile image83
    scoopposted 5 years ago

What is gout?

What is gout and what causes gout?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

It's caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood. The crystals cause joint pain and inflammation, usually in the joint of the big toe.

3. xanzacow profile image73
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

Sherry is correct. Gout is often worsened by certain foods like shellfish or alcohol. Colchicine may help if prescribed by your md. Gout can affect ant joint in your body but most commonly starts with a greater toe. Men are more likely to have gout than women, however women have been known to have it as well.

4. artist101 profile image72
    artist101posted 5 years ago

It is an accumulitive effect of uric acid. I have written a hub on the subject. http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/natur … ney-stones
    There are many natural treatments to lower uric levels in the body. Including Kelp, alfalfa, and celery seed.

1. artist101 profile image72
      artist101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

The product link for celery seed is http://www.amazon.com/dp/twinlabs-celer … 014FD4I?ie

5. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Crystals that form in joints, in the bursa. Think of it as similar to arthritis, but worse because there are crystals instead of bone on bone. Normally in the toes, however, it can be in the knee's as well. Apparently, drug intake increases chances of getting gout.
    I'm not sure what happens exactly. However, I do know that sometimes liquid or crystals pack up inside the bursa to an astoundingly painful extent. The joint will swell and become more painful. At this point, some of the liquid or crystals need to be taken out or the area will keep swelling. A giant needle is used to take some of the liquid and crystals out.
    I have a 33 year old friend who has gout in his knees, toes, fingers, almost every joint. He constantly plays frisbee golf and video games. Even so, he still has problems with these tasks. Because of his gout, he cannot work and cannot be put on financial aid. Too many people fake gout for money from the government and he is under the age of people normally getting gout. It is saddening that those who need help, cannot get it.

working