jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Where do panic attacks come from?

1. kysstaylor profile image59
    kysstaylorposted 5 years ago

Where do panic attacks come from?

I'm curious to know because mine only occur at night around 11pm everynight I find that extremely odd...

2. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 5 years ago

Virtually all my panic attacks have occurred either when I have been in a deep sleep, to just as I lay down to sleep or as I am waking up. Where they come from is rather unclear I think. But as I've gone through therapy I have learned that they sometimes occur when we feel helpless or fearful about something in life, something we have no control over. Having said that, there are times I have them and I am not going through anything in my life that I am aware of to make me feel that way. When I first started having them several years ago, I had a lot of stress in my life and the only thing mysterious about it is why it happened in a dead sleep.

I eventually learned to ride them out and they went away for a long time. They have come back recently just as I am trying to get to sleep or when I have just woken up but have not opened my eyes yet. They are terrible, but really, I've learned to just ride them out. At this point, I feel frozen in fear for a minute or two, and I force myself to get up and get moving, to find a distraction.

I think part of the reason they are panic attacks is because they are so random and come when you least expect it. You're walking along, happy, and all of a sudden it hits.

I hope you find freedom soon. What I do now is talk to God, kind of saying Okay, God, I know your here and this isn't going to hurt me. I talk to myself and remind myself that these panic feelings cannot hurt me. No one has ever died from a panic attack by the way.

1. kysstaylor profile image59
      kysstaylorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thankx for the response..my mother had a heart ablation due to the same issues she told me to get it done as well. Hope you look into it also now she never has palputaions ever!

3. artist101 profile image67
    artist101posted 5 years ago

There is usually an underlying cause of the panic attacks. Hypoglycemia, a drop in blood sugar, can cause them. Are you eating enough whole foods? Have you been dieting? All refined carbs, and sugar cause an insulin spike, meaning insulin levels rise sharply, then drop out. This drop causes anxiety, and panic attacks. Proteins, and good fats, do not cause this spike. Another problem with processed food is, with over processing, the valuable nutrients have been removed. The nutrients that nourish our brains, among them are tryptophan, omega 3 fatty acids, and chromium.
    Chromium, regulates blood sugar, omegas balance hormones, and tryptophan produces serotonin. Which may be the cause of your panic attacks, a lack of vital nutrients. By them being at 11, you probably should have a light snack, before then. Nuts, and seeds, are beneficial for hypoglycemia, eat them often. Another option, is to take 250mg of magnesium, before 11, very relaxing to the nervous system. Choose whole grains, to supply chromium. Warm milk, for tryptophan, also available in supplement form. A lack of serotonin, is a contributing factor in anxiety, and panic attacks. Available thru my website. 500mg at bedtime. It is a naturally occurring amino acid in all proteins. With very few side effects. I hope this helps.

1. artist101 profile image67
      artist101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do not combine with st johns wart, 5htp, maoi, or any ssri, such as paxil, zoloft or prozac.

working