Back pain so bad I feel sick to my stomach!

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Well I have been on my feet getting things ready for when my friends come and got most of it except for four thigns on my list done. I'm going to have my husband take care of 3 but the last is working on my story for the month, getting my word count up more so I don't have to wrry about it this weekend since I'm having friends up like I said.

But my abck hurts so bad right now that I can't think straight nor can I think a bout my story and I feel sick to my stomach. I took Ibprofin (if that is how it's spelled) and so hoping that it takes affect REAL fast.

Since hubby isn't here, can I cry on someone's shoulder? sad I promise not to puke on you lol

1. Violet Pammy profile image61
      Violet Pammyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ALLEVIATING BACK PAIN

I ended up with a BIOFLOW MAGNOTHERAPY wrist band, which, gave fast immediate relief - and thank god for that.
      I had back pain so bad myself, that i would have given anything to alleviate it.
      It doesn't deal with what's going on behind the physical pain, in an emotional sense, - that's the inner work, once out of the immediate physical suffering - but to me, it is to back pain, what epidural is to labour in childbirth.

Violet Pammy.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

here I am ! But don't puke !! lol

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah thanks Tantrum I'll do my best not to puke I promise lol

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

My shoulder is available. smile

How much Ibuprofen did you take? You can take 600mg for pain. Do you have a hot pad? That will help as well.

1. profile image0

thanks Cole! I stole I mean took one from my husband. CRAP it was 800mg...oops will that screw me up more?
      And I do have a hot pad...I'll have to grab mine.

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No no not at all, I take 800mg at a time during that time of the month. Definitely grab a hot pad, maybe even a hot bath? Make the hubby give you a massage when he gets home.

1. profile image0

ooooo massage lol of course I might have to even with the friends here lmao

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
            mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Massage a bad idea unless your Hubby is qualified in massage.  If he rubs muscles the wrong way (wrong direction etc) it might well make it worse.

See your Doctor, try to get the tablets Co-Proxamol (I think that is how you spell it), I had them for a bad back years ago, and they were great. Also, buy a "tens machine", ebay do them, or your local pharamacy, they are very good too. Hope the pain eases soon. smile

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

What's got you under the weather?

Sick?

Bad pain?

What cause it?

Or other things effecting you. lol

Usually, some women get back pain and sickness from their monthly ritual. If that's not the problem...I would need more information to help.

But, if I can help...I certainly will try.

1. profile image0

Because of how my back is formde standing on my feet WAY too long hurts like a you know what...this has been the worse though. I've never felt sick to my stomach because of the pain

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Ibuprofen was a good choice for back pain. If you have tylenol take one of those with it as well. The analgesic in the tylenol and the anti-inflamatory in the ibuprofen work well together. Just don't take too much. Eat some food with it and you won't feel so nauseous.

Is the pain in the muscle or is it in your spine? Is the pain running down the back of your leg? Then it might be sciatica. Depending on what type of pain it is, you might want to see your doctor.

If the ibuprofen and tylenol (acetominiphen) don't help, you might need a muscle relaxant.

Yes, I have dealt with muscle spasms for the last five years - and you have my sympathy.

1. profile image0

thanks for the info Nellie I'll grab a tylenol and already ate so food is down there...I think lol
      And it is just in my spine and muscles around my spine. It's because my muscles are really weak due to the Kyphosis...bad me hasn't been keeping up on the back excercises. sad I know I know get with it lol

Sorry you had to deal with muscle spasms...I hate when that happens...sometimes my back does that too and it feels SO freakin' weird!

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, now I understand. You havent been doing your back exercises. Hmmm. If it hurts to touch your spine, it could be a disc problem with your level of pain. If you or a friend can't touch or press your spine without you screaming, then it's probably a disc problem and you need to see a doctor fairly soon. (I deal with a muscle problem, but they always press my spine and lift my leg. Checking for disc and sciatica)

Once you feel better, start those exercises. I walk for an hour every morning and do an hour of yoga every night. Exercise is the only thing that keeps my back okay.

Hope you feel better really soon. Keep us posted.

2. maribin profile image60
      maribinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ibuprofen is a good choice for your back pain. But I think 800 mg is too much too take, esp for you, (according to your previous pic). I'm only taking 200 mg, every 6 hrs. as needed, for my back pain.

Ibuprofen is not good to take when your stomach is empty. Eat something before you take ibuprofen.
      I hope you will feel better. otherwise we will miss you here in hubpages.

6. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Can't help but think of my husbands bad back, he has had 2 bad bouts. Has wound up with sciatic problems, don't want to cause alarm tho just a thought. I have seen him in the kind of pain that is scary so would suggest you keep a close eye on it and go to a doc if it doesn't improve or gets worse.

Wishing and hoping the best to you!

1. profile image0

Oh Kristen I am so sorry about your hubby! I hope his back issues stop and that he is okay.
      And thanks I appreciate it smile

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Hi Crazd, too bad about your back.  You should stay off you feet for awhile. Put on some soothing music and sprinkle your favorite perfume on the heating pad and take care of your back.

1. profile image0

Never thought of putting perfume on the pad before...intersting! Thanks for that tip. and thanks Flightkeeper I am definitely going to stay off my feet...until I have to go help take care of the kitties at Cats In Need. Hopefully hubby will be home for that.

8. profile image0

okay Nellie I'll do my back exercises lmao they hurt my back just as much so that is why I kind of...stopped...doing them... smile I know I know BAD ME! Sorry *looks down ashamed*

1. profile image0

Don't be ashamed. If the exercise makes you feel worse, then I would recommend a new physical therapist. The same thing doesn't work for everyone, so you need to find the right help. Sometimes, it's meds for a while. Sometimes it just takes time. Backs are very frustrating.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Maybe just take the meds and put on some mindless television and veg out. Give your body a chance to relax.

1. profile image0

Does 2 Fast and 2 Furious count as mindless television? lol well mindless movie I should say lol

1. profile image0

sounds perfect. Now get off the computer and rest and nap for the rest of the day. I'd come over with popcorn if I lived nearby.

1. profile image0

I have popcorn no worries there...the EXTRA BUTTER kind too only kind to eat! big_smile
          but I don't wanna get off the computer..plus i have to leave in a while to go take care of the cats

10. profile image0

Truthfully I don't have a physical therapist..just went to one when IW as younger and they gave me all the exercises. they do help in the long run but yea they hurt my spine as they slowly make my spine stronger.

1. Dev Chengkalath profile image60
      Dev Chengkalathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From my experience, I would recommend staying away from ANY back exercises that make your back feel worse or cause you any pain.

The purpose of the exercises should be to first off increase the endurance of your back muscles without creating or recreating any of your pain. As soon as pain kicks in, your body will find a compensatory method of moving, which in the long run may cause you even more problems.

If you find you're standing for long periods of time, try standing with one leg raised on a small step/phonebook/stool. This usually helps alleviate some of the pressure and loading placed on the spine.

Hope that helps.

Yours in movement,
      Dev Chengkalath

11. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Lay on the floor on your back

1. profile image0

I did that...all it did was make it crack and hurt more sad stupid kyphosis...HEY ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A NEW SPINE? AND NOT A METAL ONE? lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If lying on the floor is that painful, you seriously need to see a professional.

1. profile image0

Thing is it usually doesn't so I'm afraid my spine has gotten worse. sad

12. profile image0

thanks maribin and the Ibuprofen worked great...but it wore off fast beacuse I had to take care of some kitties for Cats in Need without hubby's help so yep back in pain sad I'll have to take Tylenol next

13. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

If you've been diagnosed with Kyphosis then the general advice for fixing back pain may not help.

In people with a normal back, the best way to stop back pain is abdominal exercises, not back exercises - because a strong stomach will support your back in the right position. 

However for you, it's possible your abdominal muscles have become tight and are actually contributing to the rounding of your spine - so never do crunches or situps.  You can do reverse crunches, bicycles or hanging leg raises instead, and also do abdominal stretches.

The main thing is to get into the habit of standing properly.  Here's a good link:

http://www.endyourbackpainnow.com/blog/ … -kyphosis/

If you haven't been assessed in a while, it would be worth seeing someone about your condition again - if you're not keeping on top if it,it's progressive.  Maybe the reason your back exercises hurt is because they're no longer appropriate.

14. profile image0

I acutally have a note from the doctor to go get a back Xray that I'll call up on MOnday and make an appointment. I do stay awy from sit ups and push ups lol I couldn't do them in HS! haha

thanks for the link Marisa I'll check it out!

Oh and I do try standing up straight but again causes pain sad I stood up so much today my back is forcing me to stand straight lol and causing more pain again...booo!

15. profile image0

Thanks Dev....it only hurts because I stopped doing the exercises for such a long time. I have to get back to them and continue them so the pain does stop.

16. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

man oh man... I hope you feel better... I didn't know it was this bad!

17. profile image0

it's okay Lucie that was 2 days ago...my back is okay now..it does hurt from time to time but that is because of my kyphosis of the spine.

18. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Lots of things that have nothing to do with your back can cause serious back pain. It's called 'referred pain' and can indicate anything from kidney infection to pancreatitis.

You should really see a doctor soon. ASAP if it gets worse.

You're assuming you know what it is but if you are wrong then nothing you usually do will help.

((((hugs)))))

yikes

19. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

PS--Nausea with severe back pain can also signal heart attack in some women. Women don't always have the same symptoms as men for heart disease.

1. profile image0

Oh thanks pgrundy scare me even more sad but thanks for the advice and yea I'm going to call tomorrow to make an appointment to get my back Xrayed

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you. But I know how it is to put off getting help when you need too. Years ago when I had severe chest pain and nausea I went and laid down to avoid upsetting my son. My doctor really chewed me out later about that. He said lots of people cope with it that way, and they die so as not be incovenient!

1. profile image0

Oh wow pgrundy that is scary I'm sorry you had to go through that. and trust me my husband is giving me a hard time about it too

20. profile image0

misty what is a "tens machine"? If it some kind of massage maching thing I can't do those...it hurts my spine

No not at all, a tens machine gives off very subtle electric currents that you won't consciously really feel, but they help loads with all sorts of pain, which is why pharmacies sell them too. Not expensive either. My Mum swore by hers before her knee replacement surgery.

1. dave272727 profile image59
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Something similar is an e-stim (electrical stimulation) machine.  Physical therapists have them.  Usually around $50.  Well worth the money.

1. profile image0

When I use to go to a physial therapist he used that on me but I hated it..made my back twitch after wards and I hated how it felt sad Not worth it to me lol

I doubt this was quite the same machine by the sounds of how you describe it. You would have to check with him, but I have never heard of that reaction, and am guessing the level of current is far more subtle on the home version.

If you can, ask around your friends and borrow one to try first. That is how my mum discovered them, and since then we have bought her 2 of her own, (the second one being a duplicate purchase by my sister). Ours were only about £15 GBP, so not much at all.

21. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Look here for further info on Tens Machines and how they work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcutan … timulation

22. dave272727 profile image59
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

I have used it on my back, neck, shoulder, knee, ankle....  I loved each and every time.  Promotes blood flow and healing of the injured area.  Cut my healing time in half.  For instance I tore every ligament in my ankle.  I was told I would be down for about 6 months.  I was back at work in just over 4.

23. profile image0

yea the volts were high enough that I felt it or either that my spine is very sensitive to things like that. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if that is the case lol but no I do not like using things that irritates my spine.

You will barely notice a tens machine when using it, the results are amazing though.

1. profile image0

i'll definitely check it out. thanks misty. I hope I can't feel it big_smile

24. profile image56
    SKNX3posted 14 years ago

I got your Solution!!! I just blogged about it...

http://usadrugclinic.blogspot.com/

hope this information helps you.

25. estranged911 profile image61
    estranged911posted 14 years ago

I might help... have a look at this website
    www.cervical-spondylosis.com
    Jump to the exercise page. it has exercises for back too

26. profile image49
    Max Joeposted 14 years ago

Doctor consultation can be done online now adays. Either through:-

Live Person
    Or You can also Ask the Doctor

Or U can select a doctor in your locality, Fix an appointment with the doctor and proceed with the consultation.
    Doctors in USA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)