jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What if people did not drink alcohol?

1. remaniki profile image80
    remanikiposted 5 years ago

What if people did not drink alcohol?

I always wonder why people drink alcohol giving reasons like happiness, stress or just as a part of their daily routine. Everyone knows that too much of it is dangerous, yet they drink unmindful of the serious consequences. Why?

What would be the case if people had never known about alcohol?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6923318_f260.jpg

2. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 5 years ago

Well, over human history, I imagine it was quite the trial and error process to discover some form of alcohol, and to tweak and refine it to various, drinkable forms.  Sounds like quite the arduous process, and one you'd have to be highly motivated to go through.  I think the same can be said for cigarettes, caffeine, and various chemical "jackpots" in terms of that motive I think is behind all of the above:  pleasure seeking.  I think our species is highly driven to achieve and experience pleasure, especially in such an immediately gratifying form as a recreational (or habitual) drug.  I think nature knew this well enough to guarantee the survival of our species by making procreation so intensely pleasurable.  It seems to me that we are "hard-wired" to seek pleasure.  So, if alcohol had never been discovered, I am sure we'd have found a way to a similar substitute, perhaps having the results of increased consumption of the other leisure chemical indulgences.  I wonder...what if we were not driven by and to pleasure?  Would we as sentient beings be satisfied by the wholesome joys?  Would we have been so unmotivated as a species that natural selection would have extinguished us as soon as sustaining our individual biological survival would have slowly driven our ancestors to an irresistible and inevitable inertia - with fatal results, that is, extinction?

3. losefat101 profile image38
    losefat101posted 5 years ago

To err is human. To 'urrrpp' is someone who has just bottoms-upped his lager! Since the beginning of time, Man has always been tempted to do things that are harmful to them. Despite knowing its detrimental effects, Man did it. If Man haven't discovered alcohol up till today, I think they would be no EPL (English Premier League)!

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

just because some people can't handle drinking, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing. it's like when some fool kills people with a gun, suddenly gun control becomes a huge issue. though i would rather smoke pot for a buzz then drink alcohol, i love a cold beer or two on a hot day. if alcohol was never invented, nothing would be different because there are still fools who will be fools no matter what.

working