Does someones childhood affect what they do as an adult?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. NicholasA profile image57
    NicholasAposted 11 years ago

Does someones childhood affect what they do as an adult?

2. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

In some cases it does depending on what happened during their childhood. Most people do what they learn as children. For instance, if a child grows up in a home where cursing is the norm, there is a chance they will curse/swear as an adult.

If a child was abused (being slapped or hit), there is a chance he/she will become abusive (not always the case but likely).

In some cases it's different as tragedy or other life changing events can cause the person to be totally different from what they knew as a child. For example, my fiancé hates alcohol because his mother was an alcoholic.

As I said before it all depends on the adult and their childhood and how it affected them.

When an adult acts a certain way there is a chance that something happened in the past (childhood or adulthood) to cause them to behave that way, especially if they have that baggage carrying around.

In a positive light, I still do things the way I was taught as a child. So my mannerisms and character are a reflection of that childhood.

3. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 11 years ago

to some degree, yes- a person is the product of their experiences.
    I do, however, believe too many people use "bad childhoods" as a "convenient excuse" for wrongdoing in later life.

NicholasAposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Starmom. The "I had a bad childhood" excuse is not acceptable in some situations. No one had a perfect childhood, we're all dysfunctional. Some people just refuse to acknowledge it.

2. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say everybody's dysfunctional, more like most people learn to take the bad with the good & not let the bad be their driving force.

4. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Of course. We are 60-80% our surroundings growing up. The rest we were born with.

NicholasAposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can't you choose though how you act and what decisions you make as an adult regardless of your childhood?

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can choose. However, your choices are based on what you know which comes from your childhood and surroundings. So it is still based off your youth. Even so, your moods are also very important.

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I think it certainly influences who we are, but it is not an excuse for poor behavior.  People tend to be victims when it gets them out of personal accountability.  How many stories have you heard of people who do terrible things and then it is said "oh, but he had a horrible childhood".... Well yes, I can see that it contributed.  As an adult however, we make choices and if we see a cycle repeating, then we are accountable to stop that cycle.  I was an abused and bullied child who was often neglected.  I chose to stop that cycle and I ensure my children are supported and nurtured, with strong guidelines and positive discipline.  I don't call my kids names, toss them down the stairs by their hair, or turn them into emotional punching bags as what happened to me.  Had I been an abuser myself, I supposed I would have had a convenient excuse, but it wouldn't have made it any less terrible or made me any less guilty.

6. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

The impact is inevitable, such that your question took me aback, somewhat.  If you are born into economic means, you will surely experience a different life than another who spent his early years (and probably the present as well) dirt poor.  If you grew up with a sibling with a disability, you are far more likely to learn to be compassionate, and, as I've seen with private joy, an acquired toughness and eyes that can go from gentle and patient to steely and "Try it.  See what happens" expression as fierce as said sibling's almost too-"triggerable" fire upon any transgression against their "special" sibling who, to them, is their brother/sister before anything else, and somebody they love in that often extra strong, extra protective family unit that can circle the wagons against bullying and "adult" mountains wrt insurance, therapies, and a level of expertise achieved by necessity that is worthy and equal to Bachelors, even Masters and higher level college study.

A child who grows up in that environment very likely learns some degree of self-sufficiency WAY early, as well as patience, empathy, and even an internalized identification as part of a larger unit - a larger community.

Heh....boy took THAT scenario pretty far.  I think the way our childhood effects us is just as thoroughly, if maybe with some less drama or so obviously attributable personality, identity, and life course.

Sadly, a childhood of neglect and abuse can produce as much strife, anger, anxiety, violence, even criminality as the above likely produces an adult with patience, resolve, a keen sense of personal, familial and social responsibility, and a skillset, social facility and drive that can only make the world a better place.

Most childhoods are much more mundane than either case, but a kid, say, who grows up in a musical family (or experiences) is more likely to find him/herself drawn to the arts professionally.  Same goes for athletics, extreme focus on academics, even growing up with a military parent, and ever more so if your family endured many deployments.

Whew.... anyway....yeah, I think some effect is inevitable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)