jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How are migraines generated and what is an affective treatment?

1. Alana Warren profile image60
    Alana Warrenposted 5 years ago

How are migraines generated and what is an affective treatment?

Recently I am suffering from severe migraines, I am aware that migraines effect women more then men, but is there any absolute cause or an affective treatment?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

migraines have a variety of triggers and you have to find what triggers yours before you can really find an effective treatment.  When I had them years ago I had to overhaul my diet.  Sweetener and preservatives etc. triggered them.  When I got ride of processed garbage out of my food supply, the headaches went away.  I went from having several a month, to maybe one or two a year.  when I have the odd one now, it is typically hormonal or due to some stressful event or something.

1. Lwelch profile image91
      Lwelchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is great that you found a clear trigger set.  My triggers are all over the place and I don't know 85% of them!

3. Lwelch profile image91
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

No - there is no absolute cause.  I am sorry.  I have been getting them for 17 some years now.  Migraine is a progressive neurological disease.  Early treatment generally means a better outcome in the long run.

some good sites:

I use all of those sites a lot.

Preventatives include anti-depressants, blood pressure medications, anti spasmodic, anti epilepsy drugs and others.  There is a lot of thought that migraines are similar in origin to epilepsy.

Supplements work well for me.  I am on 400 mg magnesium, 60 mg CoQ10, and 200 mg vitamin B2.  What has worked though has changed over there years. 

The best book on migraine is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … migrais-20

What else...

well... if you contact me through the hubpages contact link on my site I would be happy to answer any migraine specific questions.  I have done a lot of research and am happy to help once I know more about what you need to know.