jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Should women receive free birth control through health insurance?

1. Stephen Govoni profile image61
    Stephen Govoniposted 5 years ago

Should women receive free birth control through health insurance?

Should women receive free birth control through health insurance?  Specifically the pill, I don't believe other forms of birth control are covered.

2. WritingPrompts profile image73
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

I think they should, because birth control is much cheaper than giving birth - which is covered by various social programs.  I'd like to save the taxpayer money we spend on medical, food, education, etc toward unwanted children and spend it (some part of it) on birth control instead.  I'd be in favor of more permanent forms of birth control for those who are at risk of getting pregnant and don't have a job or insurance already.  Something like that 5-year implant would give the girls a chance to get a life and learn to take care of themselves instead of turning them into welfare moms.  The biggest problem with the pill is that you have to remember to take it and the people who need it the most are often the least responsible in the first place.

1. jclaffee profile image79
      jclaffeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I see your point on saving the taxpayer money and in theory it's excellent. But, I don't think we should provide funds for a service that is needed mainly due to irresponsibility.It's like we're facilitating unwanted pregnancy/sexual irresponsibilty.

2. Stephen Govoni profile image61
      Stephen Govoniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is expensive to offer birth control, but likely more expensive to introduce unwanted children into society and paying for births.  I don't think the irresponsible will ever stop being irresponsible either, unwanted pregnancies are centuries old.

3. SemperFitness profile image56
    SemperFitnessposted 5 years ago

I definitely think free birth control should be an option open to women through various private health insurance plans.  However, I do not think that it should be paid for by taxpayers, especially since it is a practice that is not supported by several major religions.  I whole heartedly agree with previous comments related to sexual irresponsibility and a better solution for welfare moms.

working